Crashing after a sweep

Gavin49

Registered
Long time user of REW here. Amazing software John!

Having an issue with my recently updated setup that I have not been able to resolve. Hope the techy folks here can help!

Setup
Windows 10, 64 bit, Release 1903
Presonus VSL1818 audio interface (AuI) with latest firmware and drivers
REW V5.20 beta 24, 64 bit
ASIO driver, 48KHz sampling rate

When I run a sweep, I can measure an analog output signal from the AuI and see the input level meter increase in the REW gui but then a few seconds later, the program freezes. I tried rolling back to V5.19 and it works however I would like to use some of the functions in the newer version. Other software using the IO of the AuI appears to function properly.

Can anyone suggestion how I may go about troubleshooting this issue?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Check the log files to see what has been captured, their location is shown in the About REW dialog. Can just zip and attach the whole REW log file directory. Info from the last 10 startups is captured.

Gavin49

Registered
Hi John, Thank you so much for the very fast reply...and on a Sunday!

I've attached the logs. It doesn't appear as though the fault is caught in the log but maybe there is some other useful information in some of the older logs.

thanks for your help!

Attachments

• REW.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 12

Gavin49

Registered
Hi John, Thank you so much for the test build. It unfortunately did not resolve my issue.

My computer is a Lenovo Flex 2 with an Intel Pentium N3530 2.16GHz cpu and 4GB of ram. It's basically dedicated REW computer.

I tried a couple older 64b versions and found that beta 9 did not exhibit the problem and beta 17 did.

I installed the 32b version of beta 24 and it works!!! All good over here and I'll continue to use the 32b builds.

Thanks again for your help!

cgull

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
denon avr-s740h
Front Speakers
polk t50
Center Channel Speaker
polk t30
Surround Speakers
polk t15
Front Height Speakers
polk t15
Subwoofers
mtx sw2
Hmm, that CPU is almost exactly the one on my troublesome laptop, a Dell Latitude 3150 with a Pentium N3540 and 8GB RAM. These are both Bay Trail CPUs with 4 cores, and rather slow; these cores run perhaps 1/3 or 1/2 as fast as the cores in the best CPUs now (but with 4 cores, they're decent for interactive usage).

cgull

Registered
More  
denon avr-s740h
Front Speakers
polk t50
Center Channel Speaker
polk t30
Surround Speakers
polk t15
Front Height Speakers
polk t15
Subwoofers
mtx sw2
...and beta 24 in the 32-bit build works for me as well.

radulescu_paul

Registered
More  
Mini DSP 4, Powersoft DSP4
Main Amp
Teac A-R650
Additional Amp
Crown XLS 2002, Powersoft K20, Powersoft Ipal Mod
Other Amp
Sanway FP14000, Powersoft K10
It seems that I have the same problem with my windows version. no problem with Mac OS. If I use it for anything other than Measure, it works.After trying the first sweep, nothing works.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That suggests there may be some bug in the 64-bit Java runtime. Do either of you have Java installed or did the REW installer download a runtime itself?

radulescu_paul

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Teac A-R650
Additional Amp
Other Amp
I uninstalled Java and REW and reinstalled just REW to allow the installer to download its own runtime. still doesn't work

radulescu_paul

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Teac A-R650
Additional Amp
Other Amp
When installing the 32 bit version, it gave me a message box where it informed me that it didn't find any suitable runtime on my PC. I downloaded it then installed the 32 bit version. It works perfectly, but the 64 bit version still doesn't work

radulescu_paul

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Teac A-R650
Additional Amp
Other Amp
I installed the latest version of 64 bit java runtime environment. I noticed they changed policy but I don't know if that would affect this. It still doesn't work.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The REW code is the same for 32-bit and 64-bit runtimes. The ASIO driver is different - the 64-bit driver was build a little more recently than the 32-bit and so recognises Firewire cards when using ASIO, the 32-bit ASIO driver doesn't. I don't think that is a factor since the problem has been seen with Java and ASIO drivers. It is possible the 64-bit Java hotspot compiler has a bug that the Intel Pentium processor mentioned exposes, resulting in the exception that is triggered. I'm not sure what I'll be able to do about that, though it seems using the 32-bit build is a workaround for the moment.

cgull

Registered
More  
denon avr-s740h
Front Speakers
polk t50
Center Channel Speaker
polk t30
Surround Speakers
polk t15
Front Height Speakers
polk t15
Subwoofers
mtx sw2
I don't know enough about Java on Windows to be sure, but by installation.log file, my 32bit install is using c:\program files (x86)\java\jre1.8.0_221 (shared/system, right?) and my 64bit install is using c:\program files\common files\i4j_jres\1.8.0_202 (private, right?)

The 64-bit JRE is a recent install, so I think it came with REW, and the 32-bit is not.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I don't know enough about Java on Windows to be sure, but by installation.log file, my 32bit install is using c:\program files (x86)\java\jre1.8.0_221 (shared/system, right?) and my 64bit install is using c:\program files\common files\i4j_jres\1.8.0_202 (private, right?)

The 64-bit JRE is a recent install, so I think it came with REW, and the 32-bit is not.
Yes, that's correct. I was curious whether the latest 64-bit Oracle JRE behaved the same, to test that would need to install the 64-bit JRE from here and delete the folder in c:\program files\common files\i4j_jres\. Not really expecting it to help though.

Bernard

Don't hesitate to use JavaUninstallTool.exe (Java.com) to erase all traces of Java on your pc if you don't use it.

cgull

Registered
More  
denon avr-s740h
Front Speakers
polk t50
Center Channel Speaker
polk t30
Surround Speakers
polk t15
Front Height Speakers
polk t15
Subwoofers
mtx sw2
Yes, that's correct. I was curious whether the latest 64-bit Oracle JRE behaved the same, to test that would need to install the 64-bit JRE from here and delete the folder in c:\program files\common files\i4j_jres\. Not really expecting it to help though.
I did try installing a 64bit JRE from java.com then reinstalling REW to use it. No, it didn't help.

The 32bit install works for me, and I've spent way too much time chasing this around. But have you managed to reproduce the issue yet?

Top Bottom