CPU / RAM requirements for implementing XO filters

Iansr

I plan on buying XO and using its full capabilities . Once I’ve derived the filters using AL on a Windows laptop, I would like to implement them in JRiver running on a Mac Mini and using either JRiver’s integrated convolver or Mitch’s HLC. I will buy a used Mac Mini. So my question is, what is the ideal CPU and RAM spec that I should be looking for when buying a Mac Mini?

2234rew

I created a thread about macOS convolution and found a nice solution (Kushview Element + X-MCFX convolver)

Mitch's will be fantastic of course and will get great support.

Do you need to get an Intel Mac Mini ?

Or can you get Apple Silicon M1 ? Check that the software you will run is compatible with M1.

8gb RAM and current Apple Silicon M1 will be enough for convolution alone.

But depends what else you want the Mac Mini to do at same time, other than convolution?

For example only convolving audio is peanuts but convolving Netflix audio while streaming 4K video will need more processing power. 8K video and convolving audio at the same time even more power again.

16GB M1 Mac Mini is very capable for all sorts of things.

Also don't forget there is rumoured M1x/M2 Macs coming (this year?) that will step up in performance again.

Iansr

I was hoping to get an older / cheaper Mini (eg 2018 or even 2014 one) rather than the latest M1. It will be dedicated to audio so it will only need to run JRiver and HLC.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I recommend min 8 gb ram for running Audiolense. As far as playback go, pretty much any pc will do. If you aim for very high sample rates (above 100 kHz) which I do not recommend …and aim for high channel count, you may need a bit more than an entry level pc. There’s no clear’ it answer to this, but my hp inspiron laptop from 2010 with a 7 core cpu could and still can run almost anything I could throw at it.

2234rew

I was hoping to get an older / cheaper Mini (eg 2018 or even 2014 one) rather than the latest M1. It will be dedicated to audio so it will only need to run JRiver and HLC.

One other thing to consider is the 2018 Mac Mini will receive macOS updates longer than 2014 model

I believe both will get the next macOS update but possible (likely?) the 2014 will not get the following.

Iansr

I’m actually now thinking the 2012 one with an i7. You can upgrade the RAM to 16GB and install an SSD, unlike later models. Not worried about later OS upgrades for my use case.

2234rew

I’m actually now thinking the 2012 one with an i7. You can upgrade the RAM to 16GB and install an SSD, unlike later models. Not worried about later OS upgrades for my use case.

All good. Of course you understand your needs better than anyone. My only concern would be JRiver stopping support for such old operating systems. They do a good job keeping up with the latest OS.

So your JRiver software itself may stop getting new fixes/features at some point?

I have no idea but these are things I consider when buying a new machine.

All the best with your decision !

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Imo as long as old versions are available … which they are in the case of jriver, you will always have access to a version that supports an old os.

Iansr

Well I did indeed buy a 2012 Mac Mini i7 and I’ve upgraded it with 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. A bargain!

Top Bottom