full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1539264367.jpg

Movie: :4.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :2stars:
Final Score: :4.5stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1541737714.jpg
Movie

Growing up is a part of life, but it seems for some of us we take it a bit too far. How many times have we seen parents (or seen ourselves) working countless hours of overtime at a job that seems to under appreciate us and under pay us, refusing to take hold of the things that truly matter in life. I’m not in any way saying that we should give up hard work and act like over grown bums all day, but it seems that the age old story of the workaholic who has given up the joys of childhood long ago is the norm. It’s nothing new as the harshness of life sometimes demands our attention, but how many boys and girls have grown up wishing that their fathers (or mothers) spent more time with them playing ball rather than muttering about getting a project done from work? I know I have felt those pangs even though I had a father who tried to do just that, and in my later years noticed that my attention has been usurped by the drudgeries of life, ignoring the ones around us who make life worth living.

Disney has had their way with E.H. Shepard and A.A. Milne’s “Winnie the Pooh” books for quite some time, turning them into animated TV shows, movies, picture books, coloring books, and toys for decades. The chubby little bear and his friends have been the formative staple for countless thousands of kids for generations and have brought joy into many of their hearts for just as long. Now it’s time to go live action in bid that changes the focus just a little bit. Instead of focusing on Pooh (Jim Cummings), Tigger (Jim Cummings), Eeyore (Brad Garrett) and the rest of the 100 acre wood inhabitants, it focuses on Christopher Robin and what happens to the boy AFTER he grows up. Like most boys, Christopher Robin (Orton O’Brien as a kid, Ewan McGregor as an adult) is forced to come to grips with the fact that he can’t just play make believe in the 100 acre wood all his life, and is sent off to boarding school. Some years later his playmates are all but forgotten, as he is forced to run the efficiency department for the Winslow luggage manufacturing corporation in dreary London. Chris’s life SHOULD be filled with joy, as he has a loving wife (Hayley Atell) and an adorable daughter named Madeline (Bronte Carmichael), who is about the same age as he was when HE lost his innocence. Unfortunately his life is burdened down with work, work and nothing but work, as the scrapes and struggles to remain relevant in a business that sees very little benefit in anything but numbers and profit margins.

When an awakened Winnie the Pooh stumbles into the real world, Christopher Robin is in for a rude awakening. All of those little joys and childlike feelings are forcibly pushed back into his life, making the man reconsider just what makes life worth living. Is it the monetary benefits he can provide his family? Or is it something more? Something less tangible and childlike in nature. On the adventure of his life (or at least what may seem like a mental breakdown at first), Christopher follows Pooh back into the 100 acre wood on a quick jaunt to find out what happened to Tigger, Eeyore, and the rest, but ends up finding himself in the process.
full?lightbox=1&update=1541737714.jpg
Christopher Robin is a fantastic movie, but is made even more so by the fact that I was a rabid viewer of all things “Winnie the Pooh” as a child. Massive waves of nostalgia seeps through every pore of the film, reintroducing us to old friends who were part of many of our childhood reading. However, it is really the story of Christopher that hits home to those of us who have grown up and recognized the very traits that and problems that the adult is dealing with. The longing for the innocence of childhood, and the desire to be reintroduced to childlike FUN again is almost intoxicating to watch. Director Marc Forster creates a world of magic and adventure that is grounded in some deeply real facets of life, juggling the two with dexterity. My only real “complaint” of the film is that he wraps things up a bit too neatly and “Disneyesque” for the somber nature of the film’s subject matter. It’s not that I don’t love the simple Disney like ending, but the film’s grounding in real growing up issues seems to feel a bit out of place with light and airy ending. Not a wild issue, but something to notice.

Ewan McGregor shines as Christopher Robin, infusing him with a brooding moroseness that slowly flowers into the more vibrant and lovable boy we once new. Hayley Atwell is a bit underused as his wife, but that’s mainly because she wasn’t the focus here. Garret, Jim Cummings and the rest just bring our favorite chubby bear and friends to life, and it’s the interaction between Pooh and Robin that really bring the tears to the surface. However, I would be remiss to say that Eeyore isn’t downright hilarious, and one of the largest points of levity in the entire film with his droll sense of despair.

Rating:

Rated PG for some action

Video: :4.5stars:
With only a smattering of digitally shot Arri scenes, Christopher Robin was shot entirely on 35mm and 65mm film, and the results are enough to make one salivate. The film is given a uniquely muted and diffused look, adding to the dreary feeling of Christopher Robin’s adult life, but that doesn’t mean the details suffer in the slightest. Facial details and the CGI of the animals shows off tons of intimate details such as stitching on Pooh, the honey dribbling down Christopher’s face, and the woods itself looks immaculate. The slightly muted primaries on Piglet and Robin’s suit show up rather well I might add, and while the film has a slightly murky look to it, there’s no evidence of any major banding or digital artifacting.

Audio: :4.5stars:
The same thing goes for the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track Disney has gifted us with. It may seem a bit overkill for a dramatic kids movie, but the 7.1 mix is much livelier and more invigorating than expecting. The hustle and bustle of London fills out the surround channels with ease, with the whistle of a train in the background, or the general hubbub of a train station. The woods themselves are also rather layered and varied, being quiet and minimalistic for some portions, but then leaping with energy when Christopher and Poo are running from the Hephalumps and woozles. Dialog is crystal clear at all times and the dynamic range is rather wide as well, allowing us to jump out of our seats at the drop of a dime. All in all, an excellent track.

Extras: :2stars:
In Which … A Movie Is Made for Pooh – Filmmakers and cast share their passion for this story in a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the movie.
• In Which … Pooh Finds His Voice – Discover what it's like to voice Winnie the Pooh, from voice actors Sterling Holloway to Jim Cummings.
• In Which … Pooh and Walt Become Friends – How did Walt Disney and Pooh meet? Take a journey through time to explore the legacy of Walt's first encounter with Pooh.
• In Which … Pooh and Friends Come to Life – See how Winnie the Pooh and Friends were brought to life as walking and talking stuffed animals in this magical live-action world.

Final Score: :4.5stars:

Christopher Robin is a delightful movie and one that really hits me where it hurts with a blend of nostalgia, comparing myself with Christopher at times, and loving the new twist on an old tale. The film works as a child’s film with ease, but also reaches out to the older generation, drawing them back to the source material that made them enjoy the imagination of childhood so many years ago. Disney’s Blu-ray is stellar for the most part, with a great set of audio/video encodes, and a moderate amount of extras on the 2 disc package. Whether you’re a child who is reading “Winnie the Pooh”, or whether you’re the parent reading the book to the child, Christopher Robin is a warm and homey welcome back to the 100 acre wood for people of all ages. Must Watch.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Ewan McGregor, Hayley Atwell, Bronte Carmichael, Mark Gatiss, Brad Garrett, Nick Mohammed, Peter Capaldi, Sophie Okonedo, Sarah Sheen, Toby Jones, Jim Cummings
Directed by: Marc Forster
Written by: Alec Ross Perry, Tom McCarthy, Allison Schroeder, A.A. Milne (Based on the books by)
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 7.1, English DVS 2.0, French, Spanish DD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Disney/Buena Vista
Rated: PG
Runtime: 104 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: November 6th 2018

Recommendation: Must Watch

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thank you for the review. I will watch this one with the family.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I wanted to see this in theater but didn't have time. Will check it out. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
This makes me wish my kids were back in the age range that asked for flicks like this!

(ok... I'm over it).

Still might give this a watch, tho. I bet it really does tug at the heart strings...

Top Bottom