Surround Back Speakers
Monoprice in cieling carbon fiber
Subwoofers
Monster
Other Speakers or Equipment
Onkyo 626 Infiniti emit book shelfs Chane ax 2
Video Display Device
Samsung 8000
For those that do not know the new Chane a series speakers have been released and many lucky consumers have their speakers. Please stop by for news reviews and information on the in development L series which should be released by early next year barring unforeseen holdups. I am anxiously waiting for a pair of L7's when released which should be stellar based on Jon's history.

Eric SVL

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
There probably won't be a better pair of speakers at the $1k price point. I was very close to pulling the trigger but decided to throw a few more dollars at it and go a little different direction.

leecreek

More  
Yamaha 2030 HT, Yamaha 2092 Stereo
Additional Amp
Crown XLS 1502
Other Amp
Onyko 50 watt in shop
Front Speakers
Airmotive T2's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2.4
Surround Speakers
NHT Super 2's
Front Height Speakers
Polk LS/FX
Subwoofers
12'Cerwin Vega, BIC Formula12
NHT Super Ones, Heath AS-1373, 10" Yamaha AS ?
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
Screen
51"
Remote Control
Too many
Streaming Subscriptions
ART EQ355, BSR EQ-110X, Sony CFD-S50, Technics tt
Chane L7 was spoken of in 2014. I gave up in 2017 when I discovered the Airmotiv T2. They have been stellar here since Nov 2017.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Exciting to see the next round of Chane's get released into the world... the last models were so well received, and I Jon & Co. are taking their time to get things right. Hopefully A5.4 customers will stop by here and give impressions!

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
I absolutely loved my 5.0 set of A2rx-c. Low distortion and loved power. Sold them to move up the food chain (way up), regretfully.

Heard the original A5 at Sonnie's recently, I am sure the new iteration will sell like crazy.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
So, any pics/comments on new Chane speakers released to the wild, yet?

:newspaper:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
From Chane via email today. A supersweet bargain.

"Good news - the A5.4 returns the second half of December, and starting this weekend we're offering a whopping $140 off the pair. It's the best offer we've made since this Chane A Series model debuted last summer and it runs until December 21st."

More info on Chane's website here: https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A5.4

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
From Chane via email today. A supersweet bargain.

"Good news - the A5.4 returns the second half of December, and starting this weekend we're offering a whopping $140 off the pair. It's the best offer we've made since this Chane A Series model debuted last summer and it runs until December 21st."

More info on Chane's website here: https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A5.4

Good news, holiday specials!

BadJRT

For those that do not know the new Chane a series speakers have been released and many lucky consumers have their speakers. Please stop by for news reviews and information on the in development L series which should be released by early next year barring unforeseen holdups. I am anxiously waiting for a pair of L7's when released which should be stellar based on Jon's history.
I thought I read where there's a rendition or photo of the L7's but now I can't find where I saw that? Have you seen this?

BadJRT

Do you mean this pic? Is that all there is? I thought there was something of the L7 standing from the front?

7437-8acd077aba12fa22e0343e4251af65be.jpg

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Do you mean this pic? Is that all there is? I thought there was something of the L7 standing from the front?

Pretty sure that's the only pic Jon has posted of a finished L speaker. Could be wrong though.

There was this pic on the thread of cabinet on the thread too.
L6 raw.jpg

With luck were close to seeing some actual product photos.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I wonder which model that is? The L7 has 4-6.5" woofers. That model looks interesting as well.

L6 - Large center channel for the L line. Could also be used as monitors with an appropriate stand.

Pretty sure that's the only pic Jon has posted of a finished L speaker. Could be wrong though.

Yep, Wrong. I looked back over the thread found this one of the L7 from Jan 2018 on page 21. He says in the post its a "rendering".

l7.jpg

BadJRT

Sweet!! I can't wait to see this speaker reviewed. I hope Todd or AudiocRaver get their hands on a very early pair. I'm excited to see how a sealed tower does. $1800/pair I was told.

BadJRT

What would 'low reactance driver motor technology for excellent microdynamics' mean when referring to a speaker design? Does that mean they're not the typical long throw, high excursion design most companies are boasting about? How would that effect bass in a sealed speaker design? I'm sure impeccable accuracy is the goal here..... I was told this is a description of the Chane L7's about to come out this spring. I'm excited to read reviews on this speaker, as it seems to bring something different to the table in the $2k/pair market. I have high hopes, and just about the right time for me to be making my final decision on all the components for my new system.
  • Feb 4, 2019: "The Ls are paying off in ways I didn't expect. We are on track to have the first four signed off mid-month, but I have to pass on a note right now: these things are on another level. That was always the point of the Ls, but I honestly didn't expect this. The sound and various design confirmations are following each other to the nth degree, but it's the sound that's surprising me. We're getting a new degree of dynamic freedom and life that's going to distinguish this line"

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
What would 'low reactance driver motor technology for excellent microdynamics' mean when referring to a speaker design? Does that mean they're not the typical long throw, high excursion design most companies are boasting about? How would that effect bass in a sealed speaker design? I'm sure impeccable accuracy is the goal here..... I was told this is a description of the Chane L7's about to come out this spring. I'm excited to read reviews on this speaker, as it seems to bring something different to the table in the $2k/pair market. I have high hopes, and just about the right time for me to be making my final decision on all the components for my new system.
  • Feb 4, 2019: "The Ls are paying off in ways I didn't expect. We are on track to have the first four signed off mid-month, but I have to pass on a note right now: these things are on another level. That was always the point of the Ls, but I honestly didn't expect this. The sound and various design confirmations are following each other to the nth degree, but it's the sound that's surprising me. We're getting a new degree of dynamic freedom and life that's going to distinguish this line"
The term reactance refers to how a drivers electrical resistance and phase angle changes with frequency. A non-reactive device is a resistive load. A reactive device has inductance and thus its electrical behavior changes with frequency. Further, many reactive devices change with level in a more extreme way than a non-reactive device. A purely resistive speaker driver doesn’t really exist at bass frequencies. Planar and ribbon speakers are usually purely resistive loads.

A resistive load is more easily driven by a voltage source amplifier. A reactive load needs more current. So a voltage source amplifier would fix the voltage and vary the current. Current amplifiers are known as dependent current source amplifiers. It works fine but the voltage source amplifier would be better if it was possible.

I tell you this to explain why a low reactance motor is a good thing. It makes it an easier load for the amplifier to deal with. Less significant amplifiers are needed to drive them easily. Their response is more predictable and easier to deal with in the crossover. In a perfect works a low reactance motor would be desirable for all speakers. However for low frequencies it is less of a concern as compared with excursion and power handling.

BadJRT

The term reactance refers to how a drivers electrical resistance and phase angle changes with frequency. A non-reactive device is a resistive load. A reactive device has inductance and thus its electrical behavior changes with frequency. Further, many reactive devices change with level in a more extreme way than a non-reactive device. A purely resistive speaker driver doesn’t really exist at bass frequencies. Planar and ribbon speakers are usually purely resistive loads.

A resistive load is more easily driven by a voltage source amplifier. A reactive load needs more current. So a voltage source amplifier would fix the voltage and vary the current. Current amplifiers are known as dependent current source amplifiers. It works fine but the voltage source amplifier would be better if it was possible.

I tell you this to explain why a low reactance motor is a good thing. It makes it an easier load for the amplifier to deal with. Less significant amplifiers are needed to drive them easily. Their response is more predictable and easier to deal with in the crossover. In a perfect works a low reactance motor would be desirable for all speakers. However for low frequencies it is less of a concern as compared with excursion and power handling.
Ok, so going with the 'no free lunch in physics' saying - if a low reactance motor is easier for a amp to drive and more predictable (which I'm assuming translates to more accuracy?) what's the downside? Less LF db?

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Ok, so going with the 'no free lunch in physics' saying - if a low reactance motor is easier for a amp to drive and more predictable (which I'm assuming translates to more accuracy?) what's the downside? Less LF db?

Mostly cost and efficiency. Low reactance motors require more complicated motor designs so cost is higher. Many are also less efficient and require bigger motors to achieve the same BL and output.

BadJRT

Ok, this new line of Chane speakers is about to hit the road running. L7's and an L6 are on my shortlist of speakers I'll be paying very close attention to,
before I make a final decision to start building my system. Hopefully someone from this site squeezes in a review before the new year. (any word on that?)

I'm so anxious to get this started. It was supposed to happen last summer, but finding a new home took much longer than expected. I now have a closing date and
can't wait to get some help with spending my cash. At some point soon I'll be posting my budget with my short list of LCR, amp, receiver, subs and surrounds. I'm going to need
some bang for buck advice along with helping keep me in check with making sure everything is compatible and making sense. I'm %85 music.

Looking forward to absorbing opinions and knowledge from the audio maniacs on this site. :jump:

Last edited:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I believe in Jon Lane's passion and competence as a designer and also intend to purchase. It's been a long wait that will, fingers crossed, end very soon.
I'm pretty sure AVNirvana is on Jon's short list to get a set for review.
We should also ask him if he might be exhibiting at the Florida Audio Expo this coming Feb. He's in Sarasota and the Expo is in Tampa so very close.

BadJRT

I believe in Jon Lane's passion and competence as a designer and also intend to purchase. It's been a long wait that will, fingers crossed, end very soon.
I'm pretty sure AVNirvana is on Jon's short list to get a set for review.
We should also ask him if he might be exhibiting at the Florida Audio Expo this coming Feb. He's in Sarasota and the Expo is in Tampa so very close.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Wow those L's look nice.
Personally I waited as long as I could and made a different purchase. I needed black and Jon L said not on the first run so a while yet still before they're available.
Although very happy with what I got, I still have a haunting feeling that I may have missed a great opportunity.
When I made the decision I reached out to Jon L to let him know. I won't quote his reply, but I will say that he was super cordial, professional and understanding. Exactly as I have come to know him and would have expected. If/when I need something in the future I will 100% absolutely give it my best effort to give him my business. I already have some of his speakers so I know his stuff will sound great.

BadJRT

Wow those L's look nice.
Personally I waited as long as I could and made a different purchase. I needed black and Jon L said not on the first run so a while yet still before they're available.
Although very happy with what I got, I still have a haunting feeling that I may have missed a great opportunity.
When I made the decision I reached out to Jon L to let him know. I won't quote his reply, but I will say that he was super cordial, professional and understanding. Exactly as I have come to know him and would have expected. If/when I need something in the future I will 100% absolutely give it my best effort to give him my business. I already have some of his speakers so I know his stuff will sound great.
I've been waiting a long time for these to come out. I'm about to start putting my system together. I need help with Atmos and rears in a 5.1.4. I'm looking at the Monolith 3 way in ceilings similar to the 2 ways Todd Anderson reviewed recently. Considering trying the Monolith THX Ultra in walls for rears but I'm not sure these speakers are on the level of the L7 and L6 for LRC??? I hope Todd Anderson, AudiocRaver or one of these other guys gets a very early set to review. I'd love to hear about their impressions.

Top Bottom