CES 2019: LG to Debut New Short Throw CineBeam Laser 4k Projector

CES 2019: LG to Debut New Short Throw CineBeam Laser 4k Projector

full?d=1545948166.png

(LG) The new HU85L can be placed up to 2" from a wall.
(December 27, 2018) LG will be revealing its all-new voice-controlled HU85L Ultra Short Throw CineBeam Laser 4K Projector at CES 2019. The projector, which is based on last year’s popular HU80K short throw model, has already been awarded a CES 2019 Innovation Award.

“The new CineBeam Laser projector marries spectacular 4K viewing experience with the convenience of AI technology,” said Jang Ik-hwan, head of LG’s IT business division. “There is no other product like this on the market, illustrating how LG continues to deliver unique value to consumers.”

The idea behind the HU85L is quite simple: deliver a 4K image on nearly any flat surface while taking up minimal space. Using LG’s UST technology, the projector can be placed as close as two-inches away from a wall to project a 90” diagonal image. That image can increase to 120” when the projector sits a mere seven inches from a surface, allowing for widely varied image sizes while requiring relatively little space.

The projector's onboard laser light source allows the HU85L to achieve 2,500 ANSI lumens with true 4K resolution and wide color gamut performance. Image quality is further enhanced by a 12-point keystone adjustment feature that keeps images from distorting.

The user experience is streamlined and simplified by several web-based functions, highlighted by access to the likes of Hulu, Netflix, YouTube and other streaming services for standard HD and 4K video content. Owners can also tap LG’s ThinQ AI solution using the included Magic Remote for voice controlled operation, including the ability to tell the HU85L to “turn off” at the conclusion of a movie.

Pricing and a definitive shipping date have yet to be released.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I think this is such a cool concept. I'd love to see one in person, but it could really change how we think of tv's in a room. Very large screens that are very flat could be possible, as the projector could be built into the cabinet. In the past the contrast has been poor and brightness too low for these to be viable, but it seems like that is imrpoving. ALR screens are also getting a lot better. Way cool!

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I love the concept too. I am curious as to how they deal with the outer edges not looking stretched or rounded. I wonder if they will be going even bigger, like 200" 2.4 diagonal.
I can see how a projector like this might not have to deal with light loss like you do when a projector is 20' from the screen...very intriguing.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
It’s a great concept. Unfortuantely, for me, the HU80K was DLP and I immediately was able to see the rainbow effect the two times I saw it in demo.

So, if you’re sensitive to the rainbow effect... beware. Also, implementing the keystone tech almost certainly will knock the picture out of true 4K performance.

DLP must be implemented to keep production on the less expensive side. That being said, I’m all for this kind of design gaining momentum. Bodes well for the future.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Keystone on any projector negatively impacts resolution... if you have a PJ, best not to use it.

Top Bottom