CEDIA 2018: Yamaha Previews Its Future CX-A5200 Pre/Pro and MX-A5200 Amp

CEDIA 2018: Yamaha Previews Its Future CX-A5200 Pre/Pro and MX-A5200 Amp

full?d=1536621371.jpg
(September 10, 2018) Yamaha used CEDIA’s high-profile stage to officially reveal two future AVENTAGE flagship models: the CX-A5200 Preamplifier and the MX-A5200 Amplifier. Priced at $2,699.95 and $2,899.95, respectively, Yamaha says they’ll have a staggered launch, with the CX-A5200 hitting stores in September and the MX-A5200 arriving in December.

“The new CX-A5200 and MX-A5200 represent the highest expression of the AVENTAGE concept which combines fine craftsmanship, innovative technologies, and a multitude of no-compromise design, engineering, and construction refinements to produce the purest sound with unrivaled sonic realism,” explained to Robert Goedken, GM, Yamaha Corporation of America.

The CX-A5200 offers 11.2-channels of processing power, including 7.2.4-channel decoding of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X immersive sound codecs. And according to Yamaha, it carries improved Cinema DSP-HD signal processing algorithms to help enhance the sound field’s vertical dimension. The company also touts another round of sturdy physical construction designed to effectively suppress sound-smearing vibrations, while housing a large redesigned power transformer and two ESS SABRE ES9026 PRO digital-to-analog converters.

Connectivity-wise, the CX-A5200 offers balanced XLR pre-outs and a multitude of 4K compatible HDMI ports (seven IN, three OUT). It also offers wireless access to the usual streaming services – TIDAL and Spotify included – along with multi-room wireless functionality using the company’s own MusicCast platform.

Yamaha is making a strong push to market its proprietary “Surround:AI” technology, an intelligent DSP that auto-optimizes sound output by analyzing a track’s dynamic range, dialog, sound effects, background music, and channel balance. Those characteristics are internally processed and compared to a reference database of movie scenes, allowing the CX-A5200 to enhance reproduction of dialog when sound effects or background noise is deemed problematic. Alternatively, the processing can also sense and influence louder scenes, lending to a more dramatic reproduction of immersive sound effects and powerful musical scores. Of course, Surround:AI is a menu option that can turned on or off, so purists can still opt to experience movie content exactly as its authored.

The MX-A5200 is designed to be the perfect mate for the CX-A5200. It delivers 150 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz, 2ch) across 11-channels, drawing from a large high-output toroidal transformer and two newly developed high-capacity block capacitors. Yamaha’s engineers endowed the amp with a symmetrical layout, isolating its left and right sides both physically and electrically for superior channel separation and less interference. And much like the CX-A5200, the MX-A5200 is built like a brick house, sporting a rock-solid chassis with a double-layered bottom for performance uninhibited by vibration infiltration.

Both models were on static display at Yamaha’s CEDIA 2018 booth, carrying presences that were stately and substantial. All signs indicate these will be another quality installment in Yamaha’s vaunted AVENTAGE line.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I wish they would have added Auro3d, and Dirac...sadly I really do not see any reason in the new product to upgrade from the 5100 to it. I would love to see them come out with a retro looking AVP like their old 2 channel models. You know the old brushed aluminum models with the rectangular knobs...etc. Now that would make me upgrade!

AudioAmy

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha Rxv-3800
Main Amp
Nakamichi PA-7 II (fronts only)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RXV-3800 (Surrounds, Rears & Ctr)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo DV-980H, Marantz CD6006
Front Speakers
Stacked "Large" Advents (wired in parallel)
Center Channel Speaker
Wharfedale 220C
Surround Speakers
Stacked "Smaller" Advents (wired in series)
Surround Back Speakers
(2) EPI 120
Subwoofers
(2) Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP
Video Display Device
LG LCD
Streaming Subscriptions
Thorens TD 160 Super, Magnepan Unitrac1 arm, M91ED
I wish they would have added Auro3d, and Dirac...sadly I really do not see any reason in the new product to upgrade from the 5100 to it. I would love to see them come out with a retro looking AVP like their old 2 channel models. You know the old brushed aluminum models with the rectangular knobs...etc. Now that would make me upgrade!
I owned one of those Natural Sound brushed aluminum integrateds when they first introduced them. They looked, felt and sounded classy (if maybe a little harsh or edgy).

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
We are just steps away from the industry turning to retro designs, IMO. It's the natural evolution of products. ;-)

Top Bottom