Calibration of Tascam US122mkII

Horacio Lewinski

I realize there is another thread asking about the same card, but I'm experiencing a different problem so didn't want to pollute the other thread.

I'm attempting to generate a calibration file for the Tascam. I connected a cable from RCA line out to the 1/4" line in (my EMM-6 mic connects thru XLR, but don't have such spare connector to assemble the cable to RCA now). I believe the upper range of the response I'm getting is not good - looks like noise to me, or feedback. Attached the response, and also a screenshot of the calibration setup screen, and a picture of the Tascam settings. I think I have all settings such that there's no feedback, but can't figure it out.

Feedback, ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration response.jpg
    2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration response.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration Tascam.jpg
    2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration Tascam.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration setup.jpg
    2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration setup.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 26

Horacio Lewinski

FWIW, here's with 1/48 smoothing. Looks as I would have expected, but I was also not expecting to need to smooth a calibration file.

Attachments

• 2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration response 1-48 smoothing.jpg
    2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration response 1-48 smoothing.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 12

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Tough call. Maybe John will weigh in.

In the meantime, I assume you made sure the signal wasn’t overloading? Did you try it with the switch set to Mono?

When it get right down to it, the frequency response is fine. You don’t need a calibration file unless you need a timing reference.

Regards,
Wayne

DanDan

Staff member
+1 You do not need a Calbration File with a normal interface in working condition. There is obviously something wrong here. Try running REW on your computers own soundcard.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Is the card set to run at 48 kHz in the Windows audio properties for its input and output? If not the OS will be resampling between the REW rate and the rate the card is set to run at. Could try ASIO drivers instead, with those the driver will properly configure the sample rate.

Horacio Lewinski

Is the card set to run at 48 kHz in the Windows audio properties for its input and output? If not the OS will be resampling between the REW rate and the rate the card is set to run at. Could try ASIO drivers instead, with those the driver will properly configure the sample rate.

Of course you nailed it!! I had not set up on Windows Control Panel the device to be at 48kHz by default. And thank you for clarifying "input and output", because I switched the output and couldn't get REW to work until I figured I had to also set input at 48kHz. Thank you so much!!

How does this look? It's kind of what I was expecting. The smoothed 1/48 dropped before 20kHz and didn't look good.

BTW, I will turn to ASIO going forward. Will follow Kimmo Saunisto guide to measure drivers/speakers to use VituixCAD.

Attachments

• 2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration response at 48kHz.jpg
    2020-06-28 - Tascam calibration response at 48kHz.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom