SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Welcome to AV NIRVANA!

Thats a loaded question there Marcus, Your going to get very different answers from different people as tastes in stile of speaker as well as sound will be all over the place.
That said you should stay with the same speaker line for all speakers (Atmos not so important as is the sub choice) SVS is always a fan favorite but it really depends on your budget?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Speakers are such a personal thing... it's a really tough question to answer. What's your overall budget?

Perhaps @Sonnie @tesseract and @AudiocRaver would like chime in here.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
We never rank speakers because everyone has different equipment, different rooms, different preferences to size, different preferences to music, etc, etc. That is why when you read the evaluations that all of us write something different. And I've never even had the opportunity to listen to any of the speakers you mentioned above, so I certainly can't comment on them. The best thing to do is try to find the speakers so you can listen... or perhaps audition some speakers in your home if possible.

Are you planning on doing any critical music listening in two-channel.... or is this mainly for movies?
If you do plan on critical two-channel listening?
Do you have flexibility in placement of the two main front speakers?
Do you have flexibility with placement of the subwoofer or two?
What size is your room?
Are there any openings?
Is the room treated?
Where is the main listening position?
What is your budget?

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Marcus, just a note that using all CAPS when typing is considered shouting and is hard to read.

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
Hey Marcus, and welcome to the forum. Always nice to have another enthusiast on board! Tony & Sonnie are right, the way a speaker sounds is very much tied to the room they are in. Klipsch & Chane both offer good products. Dollar for dollar, Klipsch can't compete with Chane. You would have to reach into their Heritage Line and we all know what those cost. While I don't know what the pricing will be on them, he usually offers a pre-release, group buy-in where you can realize some savings. Historically he only offers this with his new releases and it doesn't last long. And their customer service is exceptional. They are worth a look.

Last edited:

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
Do you have any pics of the room Marky?

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
Is this markyboy14 from HTS?

GFOviedo

This is a hard question to answer since what sound good to me might sound awful to you and vise versa. My current 3 fronts are Chane A5rx-c and Chane A2rx-c. For the money they are one of the best musical speakers I've had.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
If they are rated as good for music they will be the same for theater

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
If they are rated as good for music they will be the same for theater
Some people prefer a speaker that is a little less neutral, a bit on the bright side for theater because it improves intelligibility. That isn't necessarily a good thing, just a common preference.
The other thing for movies more than music is peak output. An optimal speaker is an optimal speaker, so if its good for one its good for the other at the upper end. However, when compromises are made, this isn't always true. The vast majority of speakers on the market are not really adequate for a theater. They can't hit reference levels in normal rooms with reasonable amounts of power. I consider that a problem for music, at the same time, there is no denying that most people listen to movies louder than music and that movie soundtracks have greater dynamic range. It's not a law of nature by any means, which is why I like speakers that can do it all, but if you have to make compromises, you can understand why most speakers are focused on tonal balance and full range sound over dynamic peak ability.

Eric SVL

More  
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
I wouldn't say there is a "best", but there were standouts.

Just from reading, they seemed to like the SVS, Chane, Emotiva, ELAC, and Monitor Audio most. For the SVS, though, I think it would be better to spend $1000 on the Ultra bookshelves rather than the Prime towers. They will give noticeably better sound quality.

They did note when one worked (and didn't work) well near walls, so take note of that.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
The vast majority of speakers on the market are not really adequate for a theater. They can't hit reference levels in normal rooms with reasonable amounts of power. I consider that a problem for music, at the same time, there is no denying that most people listen to movies louder than music and that movie soundtracks have greater dynamic range. It's not a law of nature by any means, which is why I like speakers that can do it all, but if you have to make compromises, you can understand why most speakers are focused on tonal balance and full range sound over dynamic peak ability.
You make good points Matt, I guess my thoughts are (as I like my speakers to play music loud with good dynamics) that I would audition a speaker to be able to reproduce full range sound either way.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
You make good points Matt, I guess my thoughts are (as I like my speakers to play music loud with good dynamics) that I would audition a speaker to be able to reproduce full range sound either way.

What you originally said should be true and sometimes is, I was just trying to clarify that most speakers are not actually designed that way. This struggle between peak output and sensitivity (which are related topics) used to be such that it was not possible to buy a speaker that had high output, high sensitivity, and a good linear response. Today that is not true, but...cost still is an issue. I can show you 100's of speakers whose on-axis response is as good as you could ask for. Their polar data, however, will show that they don't have great off-axis performance. Further, most if not all of those will have poor sensitivity and a limited power handling, and this is what limits their ability to reach the dynamic peaks of real music and movies at realistic or reference levels. The only saving grace for music is that most people don't listen at realistic levels and nearly nobody records music with realistic dynamic range.

To me, a speaker is good if it has a flat response, flat directivity index, and sufficient sensitivity and power handling to hit realistic levels in a given room. Of course, it needs to sound good, but if the above criteria are true, typically they do sound good (this is a simplified explanation of the auralization for design that Harman developed). I consider the peak output issue a big flaw in most speakers myself, and a very simple fix would be if we started designing all speakers to work with subwoofers and thus limiting the expected amount of bass the speaker would reproduce. By eliminating the need for the speaker itself to produce much bass below 100hz, we can make speakers drastically more sensitive and increase their power handling. Jeff at JTR has probably struck a good balance here as his speakers do have tremendous bass output with good sensitivity, but I might argue that his approach, while cool, is not absolutely necessary for good sound. Still better to have the bass produced in the subs in most domestic spaces.

GFOviedo

I rather have a speaker good for music-neutral than being good for home theater since we listen to music more.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I rather have a speaker good for music-neutral than being good for home theater since we listen to music more.
I think that is smart. I also find that speakers that are better at theater than music bother me more, the anomalies stand out. The other way around is less of a bother if they have a neutral music oriented character, it doesn't bother me as much if they do something less good with movies. Neutral is neutral and should be good for both, but as I said, when you put a price cap, often dynamic range is what is limited.

GFOviedo

I think that is smart. I also find that speakers that are better at theater than music bother me more, the anomalies stand out. The other way around is less of a bother if they have a neutral music oriented character, it doesn't bother me as much if they do something less good with movies. Neutral is neutral and should be good for both, but as I said, when you put a price cap, often dynamic range is what is limited.

I agree. I went through 4 difference home theater set ups due to the front speakers being too bright for my liking for music. Our ears fatigued after a while. I ended up giving Arx (now Chane) a trial after Sonnie’s review. For the money, I don’t think you can get a better musical speaker than Chane. I’m only waiting for Chane to release the larger center channel so I can buy it. Now, would a larger center channel provide higher vocals? I’ve got to increase the center channel dBs to hear what the actors are saying, which is pretty annoying.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
the centre channel is one of the hardest driven channels and it not only handles vocals but everything else as well so if its struggling to project the vocals a larger one would help unless its the amp driving it that having difficulty.
When I whent from a small Klipsch centre channel speaker to a matching EV Sentry it was clear my old center was not up for the task.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I agree. I went through 4 difference home theater set ups due to the front speakers being too bright for my liking for music. Our ears fatigued after a while. I ended up giving Arx (now Chane) a trial after Sonnie’s review. For the money, I don’t think you can get a better musical speaker than Chane. I’m only waiting for Chane to release the larger center channel so I can buy it. Now, would a larger center channel provide higher vocals? I’ve got to increase the center channel dBs to hear what the actors are saying, which is pretty annoying.

There is a lot to consider here, but I will say, bright tonal balance is one common way to make vocals more clear. The concept of clarity in acoustics is somewhat complex, especially in small room acoustics. We find voices more interpretable if the sound balance is pushed toward our area of greatest sensitivity and if other background noises are softer. We also find greater interpretability if the acoustics are minimally reflective, that there is very little dwell in the sound decay or any obvious echoes.

Before blaming the center (which may be a problem) I would look at acoustics of the space. If you have the capacity, take measurements of the Left, Right, and Center speaker separately. If you can send an MDAT file I can look at it for clues to clarity issues. Add in a description of the room and placement, even pictures are helpful. I suggest doing this in its own thread too. I've run into this problem with others and found it to be fixable with little tweaks. Even if it is not fixable with a tweak, I bet we can find out what is wrong.

I happen to think horizontal centers are a bad idea. They are a design mistake that came about due to aesthetics and packaging, not sound. Three identical speakers make more sense. If the drivers, crossover, and orientation are the same, then the dispersion and the tonal balance will be the same. If you have a TM L and R but a horizontal MTM center, they cannot and do not have the same dispersion and likely do not have the same tonal balance. In fact, a horizontal MTM is a fairly bad design as it has lobing (nulls) in the response to the sides, and not typically where the walls are where it would be ok, but where people are. Often the response changes drastically across the seating area with such design. Thankfully designers have become savvy to this and new centers are often better. Many are now 2.5 way or 3-way designs and provide a better response. I still do not feel that many of them provide the same response and many still have issues. Sticking drivers on the sides of a tweeter always affect its dispersion. Even if you have a vertical Tweeter and midrange array, the woofers on either side will affect its dispersion, it won't match the left and right speaker, and so this effectively changes the tonal balance at any position not on-axis.

If you have EQ in your processor or receiver, it is possible that the center can be EQed to match the L and R tonal balance better and/or improve its intelligibility. It is also possible that the center channel level wasn't right before. I've had a number of auto-EQ software packages mess up the levels. Sometimes they will get the levels off by a lot, as much as 6db's. If the response of the center doesn't match the L and R speaker at the point of the microphone, it is very common that the software will not get the levels right.

GFOviedo

Thank you guys for the explanation. I apologize for getting this post out of topic. I will do some research on MDAT files since I’m not familiar with those.
My Emotiva LPA-1 amp does have any issues driving my front speakers. I did used XT32 for calibration.

Top Bottom