Atlantic Technology’s New FS-252 Speaker Taps the Power of SKAA Wireless Technology
Most everyone is familiar with the usual audio streaming options. We’re talking your Bluetooths, AirPlays, and WiFi-based technologies. But SKAA? Not so much.
SKAA is, in fact, a tried and true wireless technology born from “PAW” or Pro Audio Wireless, which is routinely used in live concert and performance situations by the biggest artists in the world. By design, it’s intended to address some of the deficiencies of common consumer streaming options, such as interference, dropouts, variable latency, delay, and signal ranges that might be less than optimal.
SKAA’s operational distance provides users with a 150 foot signal range that’s held stable using Walking Frequency Diversity technology for elimination of “clicks, pops or dropouts even in the noisiest RF environments common in tech-laden homes, apartments, businesses or even busy trade shows.” It doesn’t require special apps, passwords, or pairing sequences, and claims to offer a “one button” connection operation between devices. It also delivers a fully-fixed low-latency signal of 36 milliseconds that’s up to 5 times lower than Bluetooth and 80 times lower than WiFi. That kind of latency performance directly attacks lip-sync issues and perceivable multi-room audio delays that can occur in larger whole-home systems.
And, according to Atlantic Technology: “SKAA audio is always clear, full-frequency and with high dynamic range delivering sound quality comparable to wired systems.”
Of course, SKAA isn’t meant to be the main attraction, here. The true spotlight is meant to shine on Atlantic Technology’s new FS-252 speaker system, which the company says is first of an ecosystem of SKAA enabled products. Down the road, the company plans on launching an integrated amp, a sound bar, headphones, and more. The FS-252, itself, is active by design, housing 25 watt per channel Class D amplifiers within MDF cabinetry. Sound is delivered via dual long-throw 3.5” composite polypropylene drivers situated above and below a .75” silk driver. Bass extension, which is specified to 100Hz, is boosted by a bottom mounted 4” passive radiator.
The speaker’s overall size and weight (5.7” W x 11.2” H x 8.5” D, 9.25 lbs.) is incredibly manageable, giving owners lots of placement flexibility. And the speaker’s physical appeal is enhanced by a piano black finish, isolation feet, and detachable grilles.
Aside from SKAA, the system’s right channel back panel presents physical connection options (stereo RCA and 3.5mm) while internal digital options include Bluetooth with AptX and AAC wireless. And the entire SKAA platform can be added to both home and mobile audio devices using relatively inexpensive plug-and-play SKAA transmitters sold direct from Atlantic Technology.
The FS-252 audio system is priced at $749 and is shipping now.
- Cabinets: 2 MDF sealed boxes, piano black finish, four isolation feet, detachable grilles
- Amplification: Stereo 2 channels x 25 watts @ 8 ohms, class D
- Drivers (MTM array): Woofers: (2) 3.5-inch CPP; Tweeter: (1) .75-inch silk dome; Passive Radiator: (1) 4-inch bottom mounted
- Inputs: Digital, SKAA wireless and Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX and AAC wireless; Analog, stereo RCA L/R In and 3.5mm AUX In
- Outputs: Digital, SKAA wireless and Analog, stereo RCA L/R Pre-out
- SKAA Range: Up to 150 ft, 20Hz – 20 kHz, 48 kHz x 16 bit stereo, Latency: 36ms, fixed
- Frequency Response: 100-20K +/- 3 db
- Sensitivity: 88 db
- Power: 90-240VAC / 50-60 Hz
- Dimensions: 5.7” W x 11.2” H x 8.5” D (145mm W x 285mm H x 215mm D)
- Unboxed Weight: Right: 9.25 lbs., 4.2 kg Left: 7.72 lbs., 3.5 kg