Asio4ALL Driver Problem

Ralph Potts

Greetings,

I have used REW, but never with a USB mic/HDMI. This looked like a much simpler solution, so I purchased the UMIK-1. Running through Austin Jerry's step by step guide was simple enough, and I got the mic and Windows settings going with no issue. The problem occurs when I get to the step requiring the set up of the Asio Drivers in the Preferences menu in REW. All goes according to the instructions up to the point where I select the Output Device. The pull down lists only

1: HD Audio output 1
2: HD Audio output 2.

Again, please note that setup of the HDMI output to my Marantz A/V Processor went smoothly, each of the 7.1 channels played back the appropriate tones etc.

No matter WHAT I tried I could never get the separate HDMI audio channels to appear in the drop down. Checking the Asio Control Panel, I found that the device wasn't active. I went through the trouble shooting steps, and after numerous attempts could sometimes get the device to show as active, but that initial issue never changed, in that the additional channels didn't appear in the drop down box.

Additionally, I could NEVER get the UMIK-1 and the Realtek HD device to simultaneously show up as being active in the Asio Control Panel. If I managed to get one working the other wouldn't. I also had the same struggles getting the UMIK-1 to show up in the Device INPUT step as well.

In addition to the troubleshooting steps listed in the guide, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling REW/Asio4ALL. I tried different versions of Asio4ALL. I have tried the latest REW Beta. I have tried restarting the laptop etc.

All to no avail.

Using the Java Driver everything works without a hitch.

I am running a Windows 10 6 bit laptop with the latest drivers.

This has all been pretty frustrating. Any insights would be much appreciated.

Regards,

mkane

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
My sentiments. I have the exact same issue.

Ralph Potts

My sentiments. I have the exact same issue.

Greetings,

I posted this issue elsewhere and was advised that this is a known problem for some users. I was advised to try rebooting the laptop while connected to my AV Processor, which has resolved the issue for some. So far, no luck.

Regards,

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
NVIDIA or AMD video hardware? I have had more problems with NVIDIA setup than with AMD.

A couple of things to look at:

Have you gone through the Windows configuration for that Playback device? In the Windows Playback devices panel, R-click on the device and make sure the configuration is for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. Your AVR could be set for surround and your PC's HDMI output only configured for stereo.

Any time you make a driver selection change inside the ASIO4ALL control panel, back all the way out of REW, close it completely, then restart REW and see if the right devices and channels show up. Sometimes it is during REW's startup that devices are discovered properly, based on settings made previously in ASIO land.

Switching to a different input or output port and back again (REW preferences panel) can sometimes shake loose a stuck setting.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
At one point a year or so ago, NVIDIA came out with a video driver update that did not configure properly in the audio section, and users had to revert the audio drivers to the previous version to get the audio working right again.

Ralph Potts

NVIDIA or AMD video hardware? I have had more problems with NVIDIA setup than with AMD.

A couple of things to look at:

Have you gone through the Windows configuration for that Playback device? In the Windows Playback devices panel, R-click on the device and make sure the configuration is for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. Your AVR could be set for surround and your PC's HDMI output only configured for stereo.

Any time you make a driver selection change inside the ASIO4ALL control panel, back all the way out of REW, close it completely, then restart REW and see if the right devices and channels show up. Sometimes it is during REW's startup that devices are discovered properly, based on settings made previously in ASIO land.

Switching to a different input or output port and back again (REW preferences panel) can sometimes shake loose a stuck setting.

At one point a year or so ago, NVIDIA came out with a video driver update that did not configure properly in the audio section, and users had to revert the audio drivers to the previous version to get the audio working right again.

Greetings,

AMD hardware. The device is configured for 7.1. I had a breakthrough, and was able to get the UMIK-1 and Display Audio Output 1 1 to display. It only shows Display Audio Output 1 1 and Display Audio Output 1 2 as options. I didn't have time to investigate further, but will later.

Thank you for your response!

Regards,

Ralph Potts

Greetings,

I am up and running. All 8 channels now appear in the output drop down and my devices are showing as active in the Asio Control Panel. What solved the problem for me was to follow the Trouble Shooting tips in the guide (it refers to the UMIK-1, but it's the same procedure), by going into the Asio Control panel, clicking on the Wrench, and highlighting the symbol next to the Realtek HD Audio WMD device (the one at the very top, not the two below it, that's the mistake I made during earlier attempts), then from that point, closing REW (clicking on the X), then restarting REW.

For those struggling, give that a whirl, when all of your devices are connected and powered on.

Regards,

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
@Ralph Potts -- just wanted to say hello! Nice to see a friendly industry vet drop in! :T

EarlK

Yes, ultimately the ASIO4ALL control panel needs to have all the device choices illuminated in teal/blue ( like the following shot ) .

file.php

Missing from the above pic is the UMIK-1 driver ( for those with sharp eyes ).

:)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There's a "Reload" button next to the ASIO Control Panel button on recent REW beta versions that will reload the driver after changes have been made, to save having to exit and restart REW.

Casey Hamilton

Registered
OH MY GOSH!

Digging up this thread to report the hours and hours of banging my head... This solved my issue! Making sure all the items in the AISO4ALL properties were highlighted was the trick for me. My issue was like Ralph's. Would either see 1 or 2 in the output (not all 8 channels) and no UMIK-1 in the input or vise versa. Once I highlighted all the items, bingo!

Thank you all!

Casey

Top Bottom