Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Aniara

Movie: :3stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :2stars:
Final Score: :3stars:

Movie

When most people think Sci-fi films they are automatically filled with images of Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Aliens etc etc etc. However, there is an alternative to the laser swords, explosions and generally systematic storytelling of those types of films (no matter how fantastic they may be) in the more existential high-concept science fiction storytelling. Aniara falls into this sub category of sci-fi, blending art house visuals with a sort of bleak, Lord of the Fliesesque dramatic coloring to it. The tale of Aniara is actually an old one, having been taken from a dramatic poem in 1956 from the lauded poet Harry Martinson. It has been turned into a film in the past, as well as a full on Opera production, and Euro progressive rock bands have used the original poem as inspiration over the years as well. This latest attempt to visualizing the tale of Aniara is a bit hit or miss, with some fantastic visuals, bleak take on humanity falling apart under chaos, but a frustrating film that seems to be to “high art” for the average person to really grasp. Now, that’s not saying that those who don’t get it are stupid or just “don’t get what we all see!” that is so prevalent in high art subcultures, but rather laying the blame on the film makers. They tried so desperately to make a film that was heady and artistic, but in the process made it so bland and inaccessible that even art house fans have been frustrated with how out of reach the meaning and purpose of the film seems to be.

The film starts out with a more traditional sci-fi trope, with the Earth in disarray due to massive over population and pollution. A section of humanity is being shipped off to the colonies of Mars to start a new life, and their transport ships are giant resort like things that are basically a luxury cruise for the next 3 weeks (how long it supposedly takes to Mars in the future). Shortly into their flight, the ship is hit by some space debris from what looks like a destroyed satellite which causes the crew to jettison their nuclear fuel in the process. Knocked off course and with no fuel the faction of humanity are told that they just have to wait a few YEARS before their ship comes in contact with a celestial body with a gravitational pull and then slingshot them back on course.

The truth of the situation is, there’s no celestial body within reach and the captain is just trying to placate the passengers so that they won’t go into hysterics. The main “protagonist” of the film is a woman named Mimaroben (Emelie Jonsson), a woman who runs and operates a virtual reality program called “Mima” on the ship. The entire film is basically a character study of humanity as they start to fall apart ala Lord of the Flies, and Mima is our eyes and ears into that world. The film is cut up into labeled sections, each of them chronically a period of the 24 year journey of the Aniara drifting through space (Aniara being the name of this particular cruise ship). With time passing the crew becomes more fascist in their control of the populace, while the people slowly devolve into sects. First is the panic, then comes the partying as everyone has nothing to lose, then comes the weirdness. The cults form, giant whacked out sex parties (a scene which was almost hilarious in it’s art house “look at how progressive we’re being!” in nature), then the despair. The terror, the bleakness as nothing is coming to help them and Mimaroben and her friends begin a spiral into despair.

If you’re looking for a traditional story, then I’d have to say look elsewhere. There’s no 3 act narrative arc here. Just an inciting incident and a look at what happens afterward. No lesson, no morals, just a slice of life look at what society would do when completely cut off from their support system (emotional, physical, etc). Emelie Jonsson is killer in her role there, giving an absolutely mesmerizing performance as Mimaroben. She absorbs herself so thoroughly into the role that you almost watch her waste away on screen and really believe that this is HER that we’re seeing disintegrate before our eyes.

The problems stem from the fact that the film is so obtuse and “just out of reach” of even hardcore art house fans. We shift from scene to scene without any real explanation, and when we seem to be getting close to an answer on something, there’s a leap forward in time and that particular narrative element is is left for something else. If anything, the raw visuals and the non “pretty people” casting of the passengers and crew makes it all the more enjoyable though. There’s a sense of raw and visceral reality to the interactions that take place, as it lacks the spit and polish of a film like Passengers affords with a similar basic premise.

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :4stars:
Magnolia’s Blu-ray comes with a solid looking 2.39:1 AVC encode that is generally very pleasant to look at. The lower budget of the Swedish production staves off bright and shiny visuals, and sticks to a more raw and organic look. The white levels have been pushed pretty high most of the time, giving a sort of surreal and dreamlike state to most of the film. The colors come through with a good amount of pop (such as the pale blue of uniforms, or the golden hues of the Mima room), but the film is kind of hazy and pushed toward overly brightened sequences. Darker shots are good, but suffer a bit from banding in the black of space or in the middle of a dark bedroom.

Audio: :4stars:
There are two audio tracks on the disc here, both in DTS-HD MA 5.1 with one being in Swedish and the other an English dub. Honestly, the two sound very similar in all respects except for the languages. The English track is VERY obviously inferior to the original Swedish track, as it really doesn’t grasp as much detail in the translations as the subtitled Swedish track does, and the vocal choices are really bad at times. The mix itself is pretty impressive, with an opening LFE pulse that just rumbles on for a good several minutes with a nice LOW end extension going on. The rest of the track is a bit more forward heavy with plenty of dialog centric scenes, but there are some really nifty scenes with high surround usage where you can hear the babbling of frightened passengers, or the creak and groan of the ship itself.

Extras: :2stars:
• Behind The Scenes Featurettes:
- Visual Effects
- Production Design
- Sound Design
• Conceptual Design/Art Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

Final Score: :3stars:

I really wanted to like Aniara, as I do like high concept art films as well as big, dumb, action sci-fi ventures. HOWEVER, I had a hard time with it despite some good acting and great visuals. It doesn’t get so far up into itself that it’s incomprehnsible garbage like many art house failures, but rather it just isn’t close ENOUGH to a solid narrative structure to keep it interesting. Elements of the movie fascinated me, and elements of the movie frustrated me to no end. In the end it’s an interesting watch but one that is pretty hard to find anything solid to grab onto and say “THIS is what the movie was about!”. Magnolia’s Blu-ray release is excellent, with good video and audio, but only a modicum of extras to dig through. Rental for art house fans would be my recommendation

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Emelie Jonsson, Bianca Cruzeiro, Arvin Kananian, Anneli Martini, Jennie Silfverhjelm, Emma Broome, Jamil Drissi
Directed by: Pella Kagerman, Hugo Lijita
Written by: Pella Kagerman, Hugo Lijita, Harry Martinson (Poem)
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, Swedish DTS-HD MA 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, English Narrative
Studio: Magnolia
Rated: NR
Runtime: 106 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: August 20th, 2019

Recommendation: Rental For High Concept Sci-fi Fans

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
This one looks really interesting. I'm hesitant to plow time into tho, with your conclusions. I think I may end up wishing I hadn't sacrificed the time.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
the thing with high concept sci-fi and art house stuff...it's very much different for each person. what may strike me as weak may strike you as strong. It's NOT a horrible art house flick that incomprehensible. There's a lot I liked about it... it just didn't completely strike home for me.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Good point. I'll have to think about this

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. This one is interesting. I will check it out once on amazon prime/netflix for a lazy Sunday. :)

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I am not a diehard Sci-Fi fan but this one look interesting and I may watch it one day. Thanks for the review.

Top Bottom