full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1523941626.jpg

Movie: :4.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :halfstar:
Final Score: :4stars:

full?lightbox=1&update=1523941584.png
Movie

As a massive fan of Asian cinema in general and a big supporter of Well Go USA as an independent studio bringing in more Asian films than 3-4 of the other studios combined, I had a massive amount of excitement over A Taxi Driver coming to the United States. I new the basic premise from a year ago, but it wasn’t until the film festivals started garnering much praise for the film that I really was stoked to watch the film. The film details the issues of the infamous Gwan-Ju massacre in South Korea, as told by a little known Taxi driver who ferried around German journalist Jurgen Hinzpeter as he filmed the devastating incident. A Taxi Driver is sweet, slightly goofy, but so incredibly powerful and emotion filled that by the end of the 2 hours and 17 minutes of runtime you’re snuffling into your handkerchief and hoping no one is watching you cry.

The year is 1980, and South Korea has just come out of 18 years of dictatorship. However, democracy and freedom is not yet on the table for the fledgling government, as General Chun Doo-hwan steps into the power vacuum with a military coup. His harsh hand has led to mass protesting by students and younger people alike, and the military leader sends in his troops to quell the rebellion. A situation that sets off a ticking time bomb in the town of Gwan-Ju.

Sa-bok Kim (Kang-ho Song) is a selfish, penny pinching miser of a taxi driver just trying to make his way in Seoul. He’s a widower of some years with a pre-teen daughter, so his taxi fares are all that keep his family afloat (if if only barely). Still, he is 4 months behind on rent, his daughter is getting into fights, and his beat up old taxi cab is starting to come to the end of its lifespan. This changes when he catches wind of a foreigner who will pay 100,000 won (the equivalent of $90 at the time, and also the equivalent of his 4 months of rent) to be ferried to the town of Gwan-Ju. At this point, Sa-bok Kim has no knowledge of anything happening in Gwan-ju besides not hearing anything from them, but this foreigner turns out to be German journalist Jurgen Hinzpeter (Thomas Kretschmann), who is there to investigate WHY Gwan-Ju has suddenly gone dark. Transporting the journalist to the city in question, Kim soon finds out that he’s bitten off a bit more than he can chew.

The town is guarded by soldiers, and he’s ready to turn back, but Jurgen’s enticement of the 100,000 won is enough to force the penny pinching cab driver to find a back way into the city. When they get there, it’s obvious that the silence is more than just a coincident. The entire town is under siege as the protesters are getting dragged away and beaten by the martial law enforcing soldiers. As Jurgen Hinzpeter films the events live in order to tell the world, Kim is forced to push outside of his own life and watch in horror as his own government commits an atrocity so sickening that it will LITERALLY turn the world on its ear out of sheer horror.
full?lightbox=1&update=1523941584.jpg
A Taxi Driver is once again proof that Kang-ho Song can do no wrong. He is a POWERHOUSE actor (Snowpiercer, The Host) who has proven his incredible range time and time again. Ironically the man has had no formal acting school work, but rather got involved in community theater at a decently young age and then just built up his resume over time and hard work. Here he is a character that undergoes a powerful transformation, as he develops from a small time person who only sees what is in his own limited circle, to someone who has become “woke” (to borrow a millennial phrase) to the events going on around him. The film starts out rather goofily, with Kim making jabs and jokes about finances, as well as showing the little guy try his best to be a good single dad. It’s not until he gets into the city of Gwan-Ju that things become much more serious. His character undergoes a rather simple, but effective, transformation arc, and as the film goes on his character shifts enough that you begin to empathize more and more with him.

The film doesn’t go into the political and sociological depths of the creation of the Gwan-Ju massacre, but it keeps it fairly straight forward and simple, which actually makes it more palatable for a western audience that may not be so familiar with the incident (for someone who wants a more nuanced view of the events leading up to the massacre, I would suggest The Old Garden, or Peppermint Candy, or May 18). Despite a vicious assault on the protesters by the paratroopers midway through the film, A Taxi Driver doesn’t revel in the vicious and explosive actions of May 18. Instead showing the brutality of the military through the constant assault on the press, as well as the disgusting twisting of the truth through propaganda by those in charge. A move which gives a more emotional plea to the plight of those suffering, and works as a catalyst for Kim’s own political awakening.

What makes the true story so fascinating is that Hinzpeter never actually was able to meet Kim after he left the country. He tried, but even up until his death in 2016 he never was able to find out what happened to the taxi driver who ferried him around and enabled him to capture the video of what happened. However, a man claiming to his the driver’s son has come forth in the last year or so and given information about what happened to the driver, which was the fuel to create the movie to begin with (it’s the first film since the 2006 film May 18 that has centered around the Gwan-Ju massacres).

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :4.5stars:
Shot using the Arri Alexa cameras and finished at 2K for the home video master, A Taxi Driver looks stunning on Blu-ray. A lot of the film is shot in daylight and those daylight sequences are nothing short of 5/5 demo material that just looks AMAZING. However, there is some intentional green grading done to the image, and the night time shots suffer a bit as a result. Blacks can be milky in the darkness, an the green/yellow grading rob the shadows of some detail. Not to mention the Well Go USA standard banding comes into play during those shows (there’s a really weird looking shot at night, where Kim and Hintzpeter are looking out over a balcony at night that looks really bad). Colors, on the other hand, are absolutely jaw dropping, and the film is just resplendent with different shades of green (from the little taxi cabs, to the foliage, to paint on buildings). Other hues, such as the pink of the shoes for his daughter, or the red of a shirt, show up incredibly accurately as well, and fine detail is just amazing (except for a few of the night time shots). The issues of banding and dark shots being milky notwithstanding, this is one great looking disc, and well worth checking out.

Audio: :4stars:
The 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix in the original Korean language (with some English thrown in for the foreign journalists) sounds great, with excellent vocal mixing, as well as great surround usage. The film isn’t wildly diverse, but it does utilize all 6 channels with relative ease. The violin style score flows evenly throughout the film, and the surrounds are filled with the pop-pop of gunfire, and the screech of tires as the taxi drivers make their way through the streets. Everything about the track screams quality, and while it isn’t an action track, it does everything extremely well. LFE is clean and effortless, adding a nice throaty low end to the track, and makes the film a treat to listen to.

Extras: :halfstar:
Trailers

Final Score: :4stars:

A Taxi Driver is fairly simplistic at heart, but the top notch performances of Kang-ho Song and Thomas Kretschmann really drive the film forward. Kang-ho Song proves once again that he can do no wrong, and literally brings to life Kim in such a way that you can’t take your eyes off of him. The fast paced nature of the long movie, combined with a compelling story and the great acting make this film one of the best of 2017, and probably my favorite film review of 2018 (so far at least). Well Go USA has given us a great looking and sounding Blu-ray, with the only major caveat being the complete lack of any substantial extras (this film just begs for the Hintzpeter interview, or some in depth analysis of the Gwan-Ju event). Still, don’t let that dissuade you from watching a must see film. Highly recommended.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Kang-ho Song, Thomas Kretschmann, Hae-jin Yoo
Directed by: Hun Jang
Written by: Yu-na Eom
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: Korean: DTS-HD MA 5.1, Korean DD 2.0
Subtitles: English
Studio: Well Go USA
Rated: NR
Runtime: 137 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: April 17th, 2018

Recommendation: Must Watch

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I will check this one out.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thank you for the review. I plan on seeing this movie for sure since it seems interesting based on your review. I would buy it but its a little steep for $22 right now. Maybe on sale or Netflix/Prime one day.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Thank you for the review. I plan on seeing this movie for sure since it seems interesting based on your review. I would buy it but its a little steep for $22 right now. Maybe on sale or Netflix/Prime one day.

it's before street date. Well Go USA titles are NOTORIOUS for dropping to $12 in a few weeks. keep it in your amazon cart and you'll notice a droop soon enough (I've been buying Well Go USA titles for years and have seen t heir pattern)

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
it's before street date. Well Go USA titles are NOTORIOUS for dropping to $12 in a few weeks. keep it in your amazon cart and you'll notice a droop soon enough (I've been buying Well Go USA titles for years and have seen t heir pattern)
Sounds like a plan. Thank you!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I'm buying this one, too.

Thanks for putting the spotlight on this one, Mike!

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Fyi guys. This movie is available on Hulu for those who have Hulu. I'm going to watch it today :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I have it... think I might watch tonight!

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
I just finished watching it with my wife. Wow what a compelling film. A journey into darkness trying to find light. It's heartwrenching seeing what the people of Gwan-Ju went through.
Thanks again for the excellent review and recommendation.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
glad you enjoyed it buddy. I thought it was a phenomenal film (as you could tell by my rating). I think Todd should enjoy it as well knowing his tastes

Top Bottom