REW Beta Release A few questions after reading help and some guides

Nebulator

I'm new to REW and audio measuring/calibration. I've been doing a lot of reading and some experimenting but a few simple things I'm not sure about. I got the UMIK-1 USB microphone.

The plan is to create a filter file for use with Jriver Media Center convolution plugin for a stereo setup, there no need for surround or a subwoofer.

I'm pretty sure I need to measure each channel individually and I think the best option is to use acoustic timing reference? What I can't find a clear answer to is whether to use the Left or Right channel exclusively for the timing ref output, or switch it to match the channel I am measuring?

Another thing that's not quite clear to me, is the mic is stereo and I can select a channel to use for measurement. Does it matter? Do I switch the mic to Left when measuring the left channel and vice versa or can I just leave the mic to L or R exclusively? I've done some test measurements and from what I can tell, they aren't that different from each other?

Last but not least, (maybe not so simple :p) I wanted to do this because I thought there was an issue with one channel sounding slighty softer and different to my ears. I wanted to be sure and correct it if necessary. Looking at my graphs, I'm actually totally surprised they are almost identical and look flat from like 30 Hz to 22 kHz. To me, they actually look pretty good and I'm thinking maybe it doesn't need any correction at all, but admittedly, I don't know. Can I read up on issues to look for, what is good and what isn't? Is it possible to upload the measurements and get a second opinion?

Thanks in advance!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The timing reference has to be the same speaker for all the measurements if it is to act as a reference, it ceases to be a reference if you change it. Measurement mics are usually mono and put the same signal on both channels. It is fine to upload measurement file. When looking at them make sure the vertical scale is sensible, a 60 dB span, for example. If the span is too large anything looks flat.

Nebulator

Thank you.

I am picking up a new pre-amp this weekend and I'll make some new clean measurements.

Top Bottom