DAC
Schiit Modi
Front Speakers
Magnapan MMG
Subwoofers
B&W
Streaming Equipment
Andover Songbird
Last night I had some time and the inclination to audition various methods of listening to streaming music on my system.

System components....Sound Artist SA200ia amplifier, Bluesound Node2i streamer/DAC Bluetooth Receiver, Gustard X16 DAC, KEF LS50 Meta speakers, HP Laptop with Realtek HDA (High Def Audio) sound card, 1Wii aptX HD dongle BlueTooth adapter....Quobuz as the source

I used five songs for listening:

Rolling Stones “Symphony For The Devil”

&T “Sometimes In Winter”

Steely Dan “Black Cow”

Pentatonix “Hallelujah”

Fleetwood Mac “Everywhere”

#1...LapTop headphone out jack to AUX in on amplifier...Barely listenable. Might be fine for inexpensive earbuds, but the system in use showed up the flaws. Muddy bass, collapsed imaging, shrill highs

#2...LapTop internal BT to Bluesound Node2i BT receiver...Better than the headphone connection. Much improved bass response but imaging still lacking. Female vocals are recessed in the sound field. Not bad. Most would be satisfied if lisening through simple HiFi

#3...LapTop using 1Wii aptX HD BT dongle to Node2i BT receiver. HUGE improvement over the LapTop’s internal BT transmitter. Very listenable even on these superb loudspeakers. Would be all you need on a casual system.

#4...LapTop USB output into Gustard X16 USB input. With this LapTop, not much difference than #3 above. It doesn’t speak to the inadequacy of the USB connection, but it does show how good the 1Wii Dongle is as a BT transmitter. This USB to USB sounded great!

#5...Node2i internal DAC through RCA to Sound Artist amplifier...Monster improvement to all above. EVEYTHING improved. Easy to hear the difference. Just confirms that a dedicated streamer will usually outperform a phone/tablet/PC as a streaming device.

#6..Node2i using COAX into Gustard X16 DAC and RCA out of DAC into Sound Artist amplifier....I didn’t think #5 could be much improved...I was VERY wrong! As great as #5 sounded, adding a much better DAC blew the imaging and sound stage wide open, and added tighter more defined bass. I found it hard to believe it was this dramatic. I thought it might be a sound level issue playing tricks on my, but my trusty sound level meter confirmed the volume was the same.

(Just for fun, I installed an Andover Songbird streamer ($150) in place of the Node2i....With the SB using it’s own internal DAC, the difference between the Node2i with its own internal DAC was not as great as I expected. Don’t get me wrong, the difference was there, but I’m betting with lesser speakers and amplifier you might not hear ANY difference....The little SB sounded amazing on this system. But the SB can only send CD quality though its USB connection, so when hooked to the Gustard X16 DAC, the difference was night and day. The Gustard showed up the short comings of an inexpensive streamer. But if you simply want to get into streaming with out spending lots of money, I don’t think you can beat a Songbird)

It’s fun doing these types of auditions (I don’t call them TESTS as a test requires absolute results...this is opinions)...Hope to do more in the future...Thanks for reading!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Nice comparisons and interesting results. I'm thinking a dedicated streamer will likely always win out... less connections.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
A good dedicated streamer, aka endpoint, will isolate your DAC, and the rest of your analogue kit, from the noise of the rest of your digital source, read computer... Yea, I know, bits are bits, although analogue noise, RFI and EMI can sneak out of and into digital devices as well as and regardless of the digital data... All noise is additive... Maxwell, Tesla and Faraday suggest that all things transmit and receive...

Last edited:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Last night I had some time and the inclination to audition various methods of listening to streaming music on my system.

System components....Sound Artist SA200ia amplifier, Bluesound Node2i streamer/DAC Bluetooth Receiver, Gustard X16 DAC, KEF LS50 Meta speakers, HP Laptop with Realtek HDA (High Def Audio) sound card, 1Wii aptX HD dongle BlueTooth adapter....Quobuz as the source

I used five songs for listening:

Rolling Stones “Symphony For The Devil”

&T “Sometimes In Winter”

Steely Dan “Black Cow”

Pentatonix “Hallelujah”

Fleetwood Mac “Everywhere”

#1...LapTop headphone out jack to AUX in on amplifier...Barely listenable. Might be fine for inexpensive earbuds, but the system in use showed up the flaws. Muddy bass, collapsed imaging, shrill highs

#2...LapTop internal BT to Bluesound Node2i BT receiver...Better than the headphone connection. Much improved bass response but imaging still lacking. Female vocals are recessed in the sound field. Not bad. Most would be satisfied if lisening through simple HiFi

#3...LapTop using 1Wii aptX HD BT dongle to Node2i BT receiver. HUGE improvement over the LapTop’s internal BT transmitter. Very listenable even on these superb loudspeakers. Would be all you need on a casual system.

#4...LapTop USB output into Gustard X16 USB input. With this LapTop, not much difference than #3 above. It doesn’t speak to the inadequacy of the USB connection, but it does show how good the 1Wii Dongle is as a BT transmitter. This USB to USB sounded great!

#5...Node2i internal DAC through RCA to Sound Artist amplifier...Monster improvement to all above. EVEYTHING improved. Easy to hear the difference. Just confirms that a dedicated streamer will usually outperform a phone/tablet/PC as a streaming device.

#6..Node2i using COAX into Gustard X16 DAC and RCA out of DAC into Sound Artist amplifier....I didn’t think #5 could be much improved...I was VERY wrong! As great as #5 sounded, adding a much better DAC blew the imaging and sound stage wide open, and added tighter more defined bass. I found it hard to believe it was this dramatic. I thought it might be a sound level issue playing tricks on my, but my trusty sound level meter confirmed the volume was the same.

(Just for fun, I installed an Andover Songbird streamer ($150) in place of the Node2i....With the SB using it’s own internal DAC, the difference between the Node2i with its own internal DAC was not as great as I expected. Don’t get me wrong, the difference was there, but I’m betting with lesser speakers and amplifier you might not hear ANY difference....The little SB sounded amazing on this system. But the SB can only send CD quality though its USB connection, so when hooked to the Gustard X16 DAC, the difference was night and day. The Gustard showed up the short comings of an inexpensive streamer. But if you simply want to get into streaming with out spending lots of money, I don’t think you can beat a Songbird)

It’s fun doing these types of auditions (I don’t call them TESTS as a test requires absolute results...this is opinions)...Hope to do more in the future...Thanks for reading!

On the one hand, the noise and distortion are supposed to be low enough on our audio electronics as to be inaudible. On the other, there’s a steady stream of people who discern differences.

In this case the results jive directionally with the measurements. ASR measured the Gustard X16 DAC implementation as one of the very best, while the Node 2i was one of the lessor performing.

Top Bottom