8K Association Releases TV Performance Specifications

full?d=1567181609.png

(August 30, 2019) The 8K Association, an industry consortium guiding the development and growth of 8K technology, has released key performance attributes for forthcoming 8K TVs. Possessing some 33-million pixels of resolution, 8K TVs are poised to be the industry’s next high-dollar gadget. According to the association, 8K TVs will be identified as carrying 7680 x 4320 pixels, allow for input frame rates 24p, 30p, and 60p, interface with the HDMI 2.1 specification, and have an output floor of 600 nits. Other specifications are reserved for association members only, which includes Hisense, Panasonic, Samsung, and TCL in addition to 12 other members.

8K Association Announces Performance Specification for Consumer TVs
Consumer Facing Logo Program Identifies 8K TV Attributes
Berlin, Germany, August 29, 2019 – The 8K Association (8KA), the cross-industry group focused on facilitating the growth of the 8K ecosystem, is pleased to announce that key performance attributes for 8K televisions have been defined as part of the 8KA technical program. Performance criteria were created in concert with the association’s membership which include leading consumer electronics brands, panel manufacturers and other leadership companies within the 8K ecosystem with a strong pulse on current and future technology trends.

“Defining the key attributes for an 8K TV specification demonstrates the 8KA’s focus to quickly define a critical step in the growth in next-generation video technology,” noted 8KA Executive Director, Chris Chinnock. “To reach this milestone is a great testament to the cooperative spirit the members of the 8K Association enjoy along with our shared enthusiasm for the 8K ecosystem expansion.”

8K refers to the latest and highest-resolution standard for content creation, distribution and television displays that enables over 33 million pixels of resolution, which is 4 times sharper than the UHD / 4K standard. The new 8K TV specification now defined by the 8K Association includes recommended performance levels for High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Color performance along with interface requirements to help ensure consumers have confidence in their newly purchased 8K TVs. A compliance test set will be developed next by 8K Association members, thus enabling a transparent testing process. The 8KA plans to promote a logo on any member’s 8K TV that meets or exceeds the newly defined technical standard.

Along with the newly defined performance standard, the 8K Association continues its rapid growth with its broad membership having more than doubled over the past months. The organization’s newest members span video capture, television chipset technology, audio and video technology providers, and video entertainment creators—all with an eye toward efforts to promote the rapid growth of 8K content, delivery, and displays. According to data from top market researchers, the 8KA membership now includes TV brands that hold over 40% of the TV market in the United States in the 1st half of 2019 and an estimated 90% of 8K panel production to date. With such a broad representation of companies that are driving the future of the highest-resolution TVs and displays, the 8K Association expects its broad membership base to continue to work together to define and promote 8K technology standards throughout the ecosystem of content, distribution and display.

8KA welcomes its newest members: Astro Design, ATEME, Chili, Innolux, Intel, Louis Pictures, Novatek, Samsung Display, Tencent, V-Silicon and Xperi. They join Samsung Electronics, Panasonic. AU Optronics, Hisense and TCL. Also in the process of joining is UltraFlix.

“This rapidly expanding membership is an indication that we are on the right path and that other companies see the value in the work we are doing,” continued Chinnock. “We expect to announce addition high-level members in the near term that will expand our efforts into other parts of the ecosystem and allow us to continue to educate and deliver positive 8K messages to professionals and consumers alike.”

The newly released tech spec includes specifications for 8K Input Parameters (bit depth, frame rate, chroma sub-sampling), Display Performance (resolution, peak brightness, black level, color gamut, white point), and the Interface & Media formats (High Dynamic Range, codec).

• Resolution: 7680 x 4320 pixels
  • Input Frame Rate: 24p, 30p and 60p frames per second
  • Display Luminance: More than 600 nits peak Luminance
  • Codec: HEVC
  • Interface: HDMI 2.1
  • Additional performance and interface specifications (available to members)
ABOUT THE 8K Association:
The organization’s mission is to grow appreciation and awareness of 8K products which will provide an even higher level of entertainment which is paramount to large screen entertainment. Our activities include development performance and interface specifications, compliance logo programs, education and coordination with 8K ecosystem developers to help build the 8K market.

The 8K Association(8KA), has 16 members and expanding. Its membership constitutes global leadership in consumer electronics, display manufacturing, ingredient technology providers as well as content and distribution. 8KA board members include AUO, Hisense, Panasonic, Samsung Electronics, TCL plus newly added Board members Samsung Display, Tencent and Xperi. New Principle members are: Novatek and V-Silicon; new Associate members include Innolux, Chili and Louis Pictures; while new Supporter members are Intel, ATEME and AstroDesign. Please refer to the Association’s homepage for future membership expansion news, educational materials and member’s certified products.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Sony and LG aren't members? That may muddy the waters a bit.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Not surprising. I echo my sentiments about Filmmaker Mode, here. There's very little industry push to unify and make things simple for buyers to (1) compare and contrast technologies across brands and (2) experience a streamlined and simplified operational interface.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
The funny thing is that this will push everything even further from where we are right now (which we just got here IMO). 8K at 24p and 4:2:0 will require something like 30Gbps bandwidth (off the top of my head). Everyone will have to go out and upgrade everything they own to something that is HDMI 2.1 compliant. And from what I hear, they're only going to be pushing 24Gbps for the next couple (possibly few) years. Even the top end of HDMI 2.1 will only get you 8K/24p/4:4:4. If you want 60p you'll have to wait.

They need to settle down and fix what they've got right now. I mean heck, there isn't even a dang standard for manufacturers to follow for HDR yet! And here I sit two years after taking my ISF Level III and calibrating HDR is still a crapshoot at best.

I'll step down from the soapbox now.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
You're speaking my language at the moment... that's why I wrote this after CES this year:

I meant it. Took a little outside heat from a few media who sent me emails with a hint of disagreement. But, I stand by those thoughts.

Last edited:

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
You're speaking my language at the moment... that's why I wrote this after CES this year:

I meant it. Took a little outside heat from a few media who sent me emails with a hint of disagreement. But, I stand by those thoughts.

We are sympatico! :bigsmile: Luckily, nobody in the media gives a hoot about me!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
They do now! :redgrin:

Top Bottom