8k and the Marantz SR6015

Ty_Tanium

It’s time for me to replace/upgrade some of the AV equipment in my living room. The plasma TV (very nice picture up until recently) has developed a line running down the middle of the screen and I’m willing to bet the repair would cost more than the TV is worth. The receiver is a very outdated but totally problem free 20 year old 50 pound Yammie RX-V3300 that will finish out the rest of its’ life providing music out in the garage. I haven’t picked out a TV yet (suggestions welcome, somewhere around 50”) but it will be 8k. I have absolutely no doubt the same things will happen with 8k as it did with 4k. As of right now, my choice for a receiver is the Marantz SR6015 simply because it’s one of the very few 8k receivers that still has 7.1 analog pre-ins so I can make use of the very good DAC in the Oppo 203 when I play my SACDs. It’s certainly possible I’ve missed other 8k receivers with 7.1 pre-ins so feel free to post suggestions. My concern with the SR6015 is that I’m fairly sure (at least when it was first released) it uses the Panasonic chips for handling 8k which were well documented trouble makers. Does anyone know for sure if the problems have been corrected, or are they still using the same chips? Has anyone had first hand experience using 8k on this receiver?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Overhaul! :redgrin:

When it comes to TV, if you have a decent budget, I'd look no further Sony and LG's OLED offerings. If you're a gamer and are planning on spending hours and hours gaming, I'd probably look LCD. But, most all other uses, you're going to get the best PQ from OLED.

I think you might be right about the pre-ins on the SR-6015. Definitely unique. I don't think many others offer that... let's see if someone chimes-in.

Yes, Marantz, Denon, and Yamaha all suffered from a hardware issue associated with HDMI2.1 chips. Marantz and Denon are offering affected customers access to a free external conversation box, while Yamaha has announced a hardware replacement program. This issue really only effects customers that are using advanced gaming platforms (specifically XBOX), so it might not be a problem for you. As far as I know, these faulty chips have be abandoned. I'll see if I can get confirmation for you.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Sound United says the new HDMI boards have already been installed in production units. Unfortunately, unlike the new flagship models that have the "A" designation, other AVRs aren't going to carry any delineation on packaging... they say the best way for users to find out if their unit is affected is to call Denon or Marantz customer service with their serial number.

Ty_Tanium

Good news bad news I guess. It's too bad they didn't say what the magic serial number is or when they had the change over. But at least they fixed it. Thanks for the info Todd. It's appreciated.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Yeah, I agree. It would be nice if there were some kind of designation on boxes (even if it were a sticker). If you go the Marantz/Denon route, definitely make sure you purchase from a reputable/authorized dealer. And make sure there aren't restocking fees on returns. Worst case scenario, Marantz sends you a free HDMI upgrade box, which isn't a terrible outcome.

I guess you could always talk to a retailer and ask them how hold their stock is... or ask for a guarantee that you'll be receiving recent stock. That's where a retailer like @Robert Zohn at Value Electronics comes into play. You can talk to him directly at his shop and he'll have a great idea of what you'll be receiving. If I were in your shoes, I'd make things easy and just reach out to him. :T

Ty_Tanium

"Sound" advice! DOH!!! :thud:I couldn't resist! It was way too easy! I'll get in touch with Robert. Thanks.

Top Bottom