30 Years Later, Bowers & Wilkins Celebrates the Birth of Its Iconic Nautilus Speaker

full?d=1683751120.png

(May 10, 2023) When it comes to memorable speaker designs, few are more iconic than Bowers & Wilkins' shell-inspired Nautilus. It's a speaker with a mesmerizing oceanic twist that gives the eye plenty to chew on. And, as it turns out, it's easy on the ears too.

Nautilus was born from a directive to design a loudspeaker that "doesn't sound like a loudspeaker." Without a firm timetable and few cost restraints, engineers spent the better part of five years exploring how the negative effects of traditional speaker cabinets could be eliminated through innovation. The result was a beautiful off-the-wall design that Bowers & Wilkins affectionately says "emerged almost as concept car made reality."

Costing roughly $70,000 a pair in modern dollars, Nautilus isn't a speaker that's mass-produced. Instead, it's built to order in three different stock colors (Midnight Blue Metallic, Silver, and Black), or any custom color, in the company's Worthington, England manufacturing facility. And if that doesn't add to the speaker's charm and mystique, perhaps a celebratory color will. To commemorate 30 years of existence, Bowers & Wilkins has produced a unique pair in a dramatic Abalone Pearl finish. While pearl might not approach green, the traditional color associated with a 30th Anniversary, it’s all the more appropriate since it’s the color of the internal shell of the marine mollusk that inspired the Nautilus name.

Nautilus is still built the same way it was 30 years ago, leaning heavily on the concept of the exponentially tapered tube to loudspeaker design. The Nautilus tube would go on to win a Queen’s Award for Innovation and was just one of many breakthroughs developed for the Nautilus project that would subsequently influence all of the company’s future product design. Ironically, building a pair of Nautilus is a painstaking hand-crafted process performed by a manufacturing facility known for automated precision. Building just one Nautilus speaker enclosure takes over a week – and that’s before it's sanded, painted, and polished. And yes, there's an order waiting list (currently standing at two years and counting).

“While Bowers & Wilkins is committed to advancing the future of high-performance audio across all of our product portfolios, Nautilus remains of the highest importance to all of us. It readily communicates everything that is exceptional about Bowers & Wilkins and our no-holds-barred approach to creating the world’s best-sounding, most beautifully designed audio products.”

The 30th Anniversary Pearl-finished loudspeaker will star in a new company film that explores the story behind the birth of Nautilus, the craft and passion that goes into making each pair, and the extraordinary impact of its design on the world of audio.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
I remember demo'ing the Nautilus about a decade ago at my local HiFi shop when the speakers were on a traveling show. I was curious how well the low frequency extension performed so I put on a track I knew which was "Time" from the Inception film soundtrack. The shop workers and I couldn't believe how much low frequency extension the Nautilus put out on that particular track. From then on I was a believer that true full-range speakers exist! Fun times :T

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I think I’ve heard them in action once, at a show… but I’d like to spend some quality time with them.

Awesome looking speakers… I can’t imagine having to move them around, tho!

Top Bottom