Subwoofers
Dual Custom Built 18" Subs
Video Display Device
Epson 4040
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
You would think I would eventually grow out of this crazy hobby of car audio, but I love it so much that I just can't shake it.

Here's what we have... and it was really hard finding the right spot to take a pic of my truck... :whistling:

The first thing I did was have it treated with Ceramic Pro... and XPEL PRIME XR PLUS window tint installed, including the front windshield... along with a spray-in bedliner. So I was without the truck for a full week right after I purchased it.

As of the creation of this thread... I am now over a week with the truck broken down for installing the audio system.

The RAM comes with the 9-speaker Alpine system and the 8.4" display. I will admit that it sounds pretty good... although the sound stage and imaging are lacking, it does a good job of producing an above the dash image. The small 7-8" subwoofer does a remarkable job and has about the lowest extension I've heard in a factory system, yet it still lacks that lowest octave. I could actually live with the factory system, but then it wouldn't be any fun tearing the truck apart.

My goal is to keep it as factory looking as possible. The only noticeable addition will the be subwoofer enclosure underneath the rear seat, although it will blend in rather well, as you will see later on when I post the final install pics.

The 8.4" display will obviously stay... door speakers and dash speakers will be replaced... and a sub enclosure added with dual 10" subs. I'll use a miniDSP processor and two aftermarket amps.

The front center will be disconnected... the rear doors will remain and can be faded in if needed for rear seat passengers, which will only be on rare occasions. The rear headliner speakers will be used in a rear differential setup for rear fill.

New equipment is as follows:

miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 DL Processor
The brains of the unit with the full works... active crossovers, delay, PEQ and of course... Dirac Live

PAC AmpPRO 4 (AP4-CH41 with APA-TOS1)
Installed inline behind the factory headunit to enable a flat low level signal sent via an Optical Digital Toslink cable to the miniDSP processor.

Hybrid Audio Technologies Unity U5A 5-Channel Amp
75 watts x 4 powering the door and dash speakers + 600 watts x 1 powering the subs.

JL Audio MX280/4
50 watts x 2 (with 2 spare channels) powering the rear headliner factory 3.5" speakers... located just above the rear window.
The rear speakers will be setup as a differential rear fill running from approximately 350-3000Hz with a 15-20ms delay.

Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia Special Edition 3.7" Wide-Bandwidth Driver (L3SE)
These will replace the 3.5" dash speakers and no tweeter will be required.
113 Hz - 18 kHz ... I plan to try to cross these over at about 350Hz.
A fellow who competes won his category with these in his dash in a 2019 RAM 2500 with 6x9's in the doors... no sub and no tweeters.

Hybrid Audio Technologies Unity 6x9 Shallow Depth Midbass Driver (U69-S)
These will replace the door speakers and handle the frequencies in the 80-350Hz range.

Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarus 10" Long Throw Subwoofer
These will be mounted in an MTI Acoustics custom built enclosure underneath the rear seats.

ResoNix
For treating the doors and rear wall.

Here are a couple of pics of the MTI Acoustics enclosure with the Unity amp and Clarus subs installed.

Install pics will follow.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-758 AVR
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 2 Monoblocks
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Seven
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO UDP-205 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Emotiva T2
Center Channel Speaker
Emotiva C2
Surround Speakers
Emotiva T1
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Epson 4040
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Making progress...

Dash speakers installed... although a little larger than the factory speakers, they dropped right in and fit really snug.

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
NAD T-758 AVR
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Seven
Front Speakers
Emotiva T2
Center Channel Speaker
Emotiva C2
Surround Speakers
Emotiva T1
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Epson 4040
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Dampening material in a few places... not really a lot needed as RAM did pretty well with it from the factory. I added some, whether it needed it or not. The ResoNix foam material is to help resolve rattles from loose items, so I added it to the doors and inside of the door panel as well.

I also had to modify the speaker opening trimming about 1/8" to 3/16" off the top and bottom so the HAT speaker would fit. It was supposed to be a drop in replacement, but apparently MTI Acoustics nor HAT actually ever installed any in the 2019, otherwise they would have known they are anything but drop in. It took me an hour with my Dremel tool carving these out... they were difficult to trim too, being the way they were made... not your typical door speaker baffle. Ultimately they fit and I sealed them off really well with dampening material, then wrapped them in cloth tape to help eliminate any shiny material being seen thru the door panel grille.

Below it the rear door with the factory speaker.

Rear wall with the rear seats out and the panel off the rear wall. Here is some of the dampening material... and I also installed ResoNix foam on the back of the factory panel.

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
NAD T-758 AVR
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Seven
Front Speakers
Emotiva T2
Center Channel Speaker
Emotiva C2
Surround Speakers
Emotiva T1
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Epson 4040
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Battery rigged up...

Install is finished... almost... still need to wrap the wires and make them look nice, but I will wait on my new amp from Hybrid. They are in the middle of upgrading the U5A and sent me a demo unit of the old model temporarily, so once I get the new one in and replaced, then I'll tidy up the wiring and make it look nice.

Here is the JL Audio amp mounted to the back side of the box...

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
NAD T-758 AVR
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Seven
Front Speakers
Emotiva T2
Center Channel Speaker
Emotiva C2
Surround Speakers
Emotiva T1
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Epson 4040
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
More pics of the install...

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
NAD T-758 AVR
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Seven
Front Speakers
Emotiva T2
Center Channel Speaker
Emotiva C2
Surround Speakers
Emotiva T1
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Epson 4040
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
While Dirac Live in the vehicle is not what it is in the home... it will give you the best experience you will likely ever accomplish... even from the professionals. My truck sounds better than the install Steve Cook did in my wife's Lexus, and Steve is one of the best in the USA at tuning a vehicle. Granted... I did a little bit of tweaking, but it DL in itself is absolutely incredible. miniDSP did a great job of getting it implemented in the C-DSP with practically endless tweaking options.

Top Bottom