2017 Honda Civic - no AUX input - mini dsp & REW

FaintReality

Registered
I purchased the mini dsp 6x8 and have been playing with REW to get the feel for things prior to my install.

Today I was going to hook up the laptop in the car to take some measurements of the stock system for reference and to get a better feel for the REW software, but realized I have no aux input, nor do I have a CD player.

How do I go about using my laptop with REW for my upcoming install? I do have two usb ports that support media/audio. Can I just use a male to male usb cable?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Couple of options: you could save REW's pink PN test signal to WAV, play that and view the response on the RTA, or you could save REW'S measurement sweep to a WAV file including a timing reference, play that and use the 'wait for timing reference' box on the measurement dialog to make impulse response measurements.

FaintReality

Registered
Couple of options: you could save REW's pink PN test signal to WAV, play that and view the response on the RTA, or you could save REW'S measurement sweep to a WAV file including a timing reference, play that and use the 'wait for timing reference' box on the measurement dialog to make impulse response measurements.

Thanks for the reply John. Is one method preferred over the other? Happen to have a link or somewhere so I can read more details?

I just read through the 130+ page pdf on the download page and started playing with REW yesterday, so this is all new for me.

Thanks again,
Dave

John Mulcahy

REW Author
With Pink PN you can only see the frequency response, the sweep method generates an impulse response so can see additional info including phase, group delay, how sound decays etc.

Top Bottom