2 mains + 4 subs crossover and measurement in Audiolense

alblip

Dear all, two issues:

1) I'm not able to take measurements with Audiolense XO, somethings is wrong in my config:

I bought Audiolense to take measurements and do the crossover of my system (2 mains + 4 subs). I have a RME fireface 802 so I use 6 outputs (2 for the mains and 4 for the subs). I need to use separate outputs because the subs need to be time aligned and independently configured as they will be in different places in the room. So I can't just send the signal to the subwoofer, do an analog crossover and from there send the signal to the mains.

My sound card setup is as follows: the mains are in the outputs 1 & 2, and for the subs they are 3, 4, 5, and 6 (in mono). So to listen the subs, in the sound card configuration (Totalmix) I copy the output of the main to the "an 3", "an 4", "an 5" and "an 6".

In audiolense the mains are 0 & 1, and subs are 2, 3, 4 and 5 (I attach picture). Why, when I "Check speaker Connectons", it doesn't really "route" sound, but it just use the soundcard and all the channels, one by one, generate the sound test? Also, if I "Run Measurement", the sine sweep is generated only in the mains. I expected that Audiolense was going to generate, for each separate channel in the soundcard, a different sweep to measure that channel individually. So for example when it checks the subwoofer in the soundcard analog output 3 (output channel 2 in Audiolense) AFAIK it should generate sound only in that channel, not in the mains.

I did this with the "Measurement Group" set to AllInOne. But if I change it to "Speaker by speaker" Audiolense crashes. I suspect anyway that I should use AllInOne because that's what I see in every article, but I don't know.

Also, the "Input channel" for the mic (a Dayton EMM-6) in the sound card is output 9, so I configured the Input Channel in Audiolense as 8. But the sound doesn't seem to enter into Audiolense, at least I can't see any signal in the "Microphone input monitor". I'm using for both, the Playback and the input, the same driver: the "Asio Fireface USB".

2) How to configure Audiolense XO to do a digital crossover to take measurements with REW?

I think that I should configure Audiolense somehow to generate this crossover, and then load the results/configuration into Audiolense Convolver so all the other applications (REW, youtube, DAW, or whatever..) takes advantage of it. Is this the case? How would this be done? I read the wonderful article from Mitch about subwoofer configuration but still it is not clear to me, although I know that this is a pretty basic question.

I know that probably I have some very basic misunderstanding of how this works so any help would be very appreciated.

crossover.PNG playback.PNG speaker setup.PNG totalmix.PNG

jrobbins50

I think your issue is that you have playback routing as 2 channels even though you are actually using 6 channels. That’s why the sweep isn’t playing out through each of the subs. JCR

jrobbins50

See screenshot of my setup. JCR

Attachments

• 36EDEB30-1646-48AC-AF9A-5665F45376BE.jpeg
    36EDEB30-1646-48AC-AF9A-5665F45376BE.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 47

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
The settings in Audiolense are OK. I think you need to look into the settings of the RME mixer.

alblip

See screenshot of my setup. JCR

Actually it is very strange because when I change the setup to 5.1, and Save it, and reopen the Speaker setup, it goes back to Playback format 2.0 :?

Anyway, Bernt was right :) It was a problem in my RME configuration. I really thought that it was ok but after reading the Bernt's message I went back and carefully tested everything and racked my brain some more... and indeed I was making a mistake and I was routing it wrongly!.

Also, just for the records in case someone else had this question: it seems that the "Microphone input monitor" only shows the signal during the actual measurement, and not while you're just in the Measurement window.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You're making good progress here!

The 5.1 incidence...

You don't change the setup by flipping to 5.1. You simply make the 5.1 config available for examination and edit. The 2.0 setup and 5.1 setup live side by side in your configuration and the correction saved will cover both. If you use the Audiolense convolver, everything will be stored in one file and the convolver will pick the configuration that matches the source format. If you use e.g. jriver you have to choose one of the formats and set up jriver accordingly. With Roon you simply load a zip file that will contain both configuration. Roon picks the configuration that matches with the playback format set in Roon.

Depending on how you set up your player you may not need the 2.0 configuration. you can simply delete it from the setup if you don't.

alblip

Still there is something that I don't understand (my point 2): let's say that I don't want to do any correction, and I only want to do a simple crossover to avoid my mains doing sounds below 80Hz, and letting that work to the subs. How can I do that, or is there some documentation out there showing how to do that? I'm not able to find any more or less straightforward guide for this.

I'd like to know how to use Audiolense to just generate the crossover, and load that configuration into Audiolense Convolver, so I can check youtube, or just play music or even take REW measurements with the crossover, but without any correction filter.

Top Bottom