11.4/13.4 Setup

MrayB

Registered
Will REW and a umik help me? Current setup== Denon 4311CI used 75% for music in a large room (32'x22'x8'). Usually run a 11.4 speaker setup. When I enable zone2 it is 13.4. The front 1/3 of the room is where the entertainment center and seating are located. Back 2/3 is the pool table, darts, bar. Mixture of Klipsch and Polk speakers laid out evenly around the room. The four Klipsch subs are in the four corners. It really does sound AWESOME now. I am kinda geeky and program CNC machines at work, so i think I could catch on pretty quick. Couple questions please..
1) Will the 11.4, or 13.4 two zone setup cause any problems?
2) What about the four subs? The Denon has dual out that I y-split to the second one on each side.
3) Would I have to get a DSP type device for the subs also?

Thanks in advance for any input. Would love to get started if it will create a noticeable improvement in my "odd" setup.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you are very happy with the sound you are getting there is no particular reason to set off on measuring, just use the Audyssey features of your receiver. Measuring could help you get better sound, or it could just consume a lot of time and effort and distract from enjoying the system.

With setups beyond 7.1 it is awkward to route a test signal to the additional channels, it is often necessary to temporarily connect them to a channel which can be sent the test signal in order to measure them. If you wanted to apply subwoofer EQ to deal with room resonances some kind of device is usually required for that as few receivers have the required filtering capability.

MrayB

Registered
If you are very happy with the sound you are getting there is no particular reason to set off on measuring, just use the Audyssey features of your receiver. Measuring could help you get better sound, or it could just consume a lot of time and effort and distract from enjoying the system.

With setups beyond 7.1 it is awkward to route a test signal to the additional channels, it is often necessary to temporarily connect them to a channel which can be sent the test signal in order to measure them. If you wanted to apply subwoofer EQ to deal with room resonances some kind of device is usually required for that as few receivers have the required filtering capability.

Thank you very much John Mulcahy. Your comments are what I was kinda thinking. It really is great now for music (and occasional movies). Unhooking and re-routing wires for additional channels and testing for a rookie, is not going to happen. With people up and walking around all the time while music is playing, I understand. Love the Denon 4311CI and Audyssey. Thanks again John.

Top Bottom