full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1522298792.jpg

Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

full?lightbox=1&update=1522298792.jpg
Movie

Woohoo! As a child of the 80s, I grew up watching all of Cheech and Chong’s films, despite the eye rolling protests of my parents who swore up and down that I was rotting brain cells by viewing them (to be fair, I probably was. They’re not exactly high art in any way, shape, or form). The comedy duo became famous in the 1970s with several successful albums, but it wasn’t until Up in Smoke came out that they really became household names. After reviewing Cheech and Chong’s Next Movie back in June of 2017 (thanks to Shout Factory), I was really disheartened that we were able to see the film that started it all. Cheech and Chong’s Next Movie is definitely the more polished of their first two entries, but it is still a classic for those of us who grew up with the weed toking comedy duo. Well, Paramount Pictures is not only releasing Up in Smoke with a nice 40th anniversary collector’s edition, but Still Smoking as well! (which we sadly will not be reviewing).

While Cheech and Chong’s Next Movie is the more polished and funny of the first two films from the duo, Up in Smoke follows a much more traditional plot than the fractured “sketch comedy” stylings of their sequel. This time we’re introduced to Pedro de Pacas (Cheech Marin) and Anthony Stoner (Tommy Chong), two dope fiends who are just living it up. After a chance meeting the two become instant friends, with Pedro convincing Anthony to come live with him and join his punk rock band that he’s lead singer of. Well, it’s not long before the morons are down in Mexico picking up a shipment of upholstery for a family member. The only thing is, it’s not REALLY upholstery they’re transporting. It’s actually about a few billion dollars worth of reefer. Except neither of the two of them know it as the reefer has been broken down into a polymer (or sorts) and the entire truck they’re driving is MADE of weed!
Hot on their trail is a hard nosed cop named Sgt. Stedenko (played by a perfectly straight faced Stacy Keach), who has been tipped off to the status of the weedmobile thanks to an inside source in the Mexican drug plant. What ensues is a hilarious “Laurel and Hardy” cat and mouse game, with the two oblivious friends unintentionally evading Sgt. Stedenko and his narcotics team at ever turn. All while smoking as much has as they can get their mitts on, and picking up a couple of hot “babes” along the way so they can get back to L.A. and play their punk rock gig.

While Up in Smoke is a much more traditional film in terms of plot, it is also one of the roughest films of Cheech and Chong’s early career. The jokes are more a product of its time, and the duo really hadn’t gotten their groove on in terms of their personas. Something they would perfect in the next film. Still, the movie was a landmark film of the time, when a “weed positive” film was unheard. This one film right here was the start of the “stoner comedy” genre, and was a MASSIVE success when it came out. Even if every joke may not stick, I still find it one of the funniest parts of my childhood and still has more than enough laughs to have me chuckling throughout the 86 minute run time.

Rating:

Rated R by the MPAA

Video: :4.5stars:
I didn’t notice any verbiage in the Paramount press release about a remaster, or 4K restoration or anything of that matter, but whatever master they were using for the film seems to have been struck fairly recently as the end result is awesome for a dirt cheap 70s stoner film. Colors are bright and vivid, with strong primaries (watch the blues and purples and reds of Pedro’s lowrider) and great detail all around. There’s a fine layer of grain over the whole image, but it’s done without heavy DNR or obtrusive “70s” style graininess either. The whole film is lovingly detailed, with everything from Tommy Chong’s scraggly beard showing off each and every hair, down to the curling paper on the joints he rolls. There are some definite soft spots during the film, but there’s usually fleeting and give way to to much cleaner looking images in just a few moments. Blacks are deep and inky, and shadow detail high. I would say this is a VERY good looking transfer and way above what I was expecting going into the viewing.

Audio: :4stars:
Up in Smoke features a very nice sounding 5.1 DTS-HD MA track (which was an upmix from the original 2.0 track that the film was released in 40 years ago). Audio clarity is quite nice, with strong vocals and good surround support. The film isn’t WILDLY active except for the music (an the rock concert at the end), but there’s enough activity to light up the surrounds, such as when the two roll through the border, or during the chaos of the weed packaging plant down in Mexico. LFE support is comfortably weighty, with most of the booms and bangs coming from the score.

Extras: :3.5stars:
How Pedro Met the Man: Up In Smoke at 40
• Audio Commentary by Cheech Marin and director Lou Adler
• Roach Clips with Optional Commentary (deleted scenes)
• Lighting It Up: A Look Back at Up In Smoke
• "Earache My Eye" featuring Alice Bowie: Animated Music Video
• Cheech & Chong's "The Man Song"
• Vintage Radio Spots
• Theatrical Trailer

Final Score: :4stars:

Up in Smoke is a lot of fun, and Paramount has done a great job of with the technical aspects of the film. The master seems to have been taken from a fairly new scan, as it looks amazing, and the extras are quite substantial all things considering. Fans will have the option of this “barebones” version with just the Blu-ray and DVD with a nice slip cover, or getting the special edition with the soundtrack in CD and VINYL LP, as well as artwork, Film poster, and a little booklet chock full of images and behind the scenes interviews and the like. Whether you get this version, or the big collector’s edition (which is limited to 5,000 copies printed), this classic film has never looked or sounded better, and is a welcome addition to anyone’s Cheech and Chong collection.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong, Strother Martin
Directed by: Lou Adler
Written by: Tommy Chong, Cheech Marin
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, French, Portuguese, Spanish DD Mono
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Studio: Paramount
Rated: R
Runtime: 86 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: April 10th, 2018

Recommendation: Fun Watch

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Talk about a blast from the past. lol. Will check it out. :)

Jeff S

I loved this film when I was growing up. My parents, too, were not thrilled that I had watched it. It was a simple, no frills comedy that I can still laugh at while watching today. I am getting this Blu-ray so I can once again enjoy (my last copy is on VHS???). Thanks for reviewing this classic.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I loved the Cheech and Chong movies!

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I remember watching them growing up. Loved this one, Still Smokin', The Corsican Brothers.
Thanks for the review.

leecreek

More  
Yamaha 2030 HT, Yamaha 2092 Stereo
Additional Amp
Crown XLS 1502
Other Amp
Onyko 50 watt in shop
Front Speakers
Airmotive T2's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2.4
Surround Speakers
NHT Super 2's
Front Height Speakers
Polk LS/FX
Subwoofers
12'Cerwin Vega, BIC Formula12
NHT Super Ones, Heath AS-1373, 10" Yamaha AS ?
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
Screen
51"
Remote Control
Too many
Streaming Subscriptions
ART EQ355, BSR EQ-110X, Sony CFD-S50, Technics tt
My favorite is still Nice Dreams.

Top Bottom