full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1544785062.jpg

Movie: :halfstar:
Video: :3.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :2.5stars:

full?lightbox=1&update=1544785062.png
Movie

The horror community is one that is rife with “bad” movies that are completely watchable. There’s a smattering of truly incredible films in the genre, but so many of the movies in this particular genre are technically bad movies, but still highly enjoyable movies. I make no bones about the fact that I embrace this schlocky aspects of the horror industry, and actually relish it to a certain extent. The slasher sub genre in particular is one of those incestuous and cheesy sub genres that relies on the audience checking their brain in at the door and just sitting back with popcorn and soda cheering as some monstrosity chases down , stupid, teenagers for the slaughter. Then there’s films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. A film that starred two burgeoning Hollywood celebrities, and became lauded as one of the single worst horror films of ALL times.

There are movies that are good, there are movies that are bad, and then there are movies that are soooooooo awful that they pretty much are legendary for it. Films like Tommy Wiseau’s The Room have become almost cult like in their status as abysmal movies, and are almost loved for how painful they are. The Next Generation is the horror community’s The Room, as it is a flop that is so wretched, so painful, so incoherent in it’s storytelling that it has become the talk of legend among gore hounds. I actually remember when the film was supposed to come out in 1994, as I was 12 year old and a rabid reader of Fangoria magazine. Sadly the film got trapped in development hell and was shelved for a good 3 years, until one day I saw that it was on VHS and DVD and ended up renting it from my local Blockbuster, only to wonder if I had gone on an acid trip or something, as even 15 year old me couldn’t come to grips with how bad this film was.

The plot is about what you’d expect from your typical slasher film. High School seniors Jenny (a baby faced Renee Zellweger) and her friends crash their car in the backwoods of Texas after leaving their prom, only to run into a living nightmare. Looking around for help they stumble upon Vilmer Slaughter (Matthew McConaughey), a psychopath with a cybernetic leg who wants nothing more than to torture the poor girls before they can escape. As Jenny and her friends try their best to get out of the nightmare they’re trapped in, they run into the rest of the Slaughter family, including the legendary Leatherface, and unveil the real secrets behind the Slaughter family’s insatiable craving for human pain and blood.
full?lightbox=1&update=1544785062.jpg
What makes The Next Generation truly awful is how disjointed and incoherent the film is. Is Matthew McConaughey Leatherface’s brother? Leatherface cross dressing with fake boobs and a wig (yes, it’s almost as hilarious as it sounds. Leatherface shrieking and screaming as the movie goes on. Huge jumps in the plot lines that make no sense. Matthew McConaughey’s cybernetic leg, and of course, Matthew McConaughey himself over acting to the extreme. If I had to give one benefit to the movie, it is Matthew was a blast to watch as Vilmer Slaughter. Everything else is just beyond bad. The movie is painful to watch, and there’s sadly not that much chainsaw massacring going on either (which is kind of the reason we came to watch it in the first place).

Supposedly when 1996 hit and Matthew and Renee hit it big, the studios tried to release the film in theater, only to have Matthew McConaughey’s people do everything short of send in attack dogs to make sure it never saw a theatrical light of day. I’m usually not a fan of letting movies go straight to DVD, as the movie going public deserves a theatrical view. But in this case I think it was a blessing, as it kept people from actually going and paying money to see this thing in theaters! It’s no surprise why this effectively killed off the franchise, and why no one involved with the film wants ANYTHING to do with it, and goes out of their way to ignore it actually exists and that they were involved.

Rating:

Rated R by the MPAA

Video: :3.5stars:
The Next Generation is an ugly film, there’s no two ways to say it. The film is naturally brown and golden, with heavy heavy earth tones and dark tone to it that does not do any favors to the detail levels at all. That’s how it’s always been on home video, and from what I can tell is just how the film was shot. This was all before the advent of digital cameras, and the films is super grainy, sometimes oppressively so, but the amount of detail shown in the picture is rather decent at times. There was no announcement from Scream Factory about the master used for this one, but I’d guess that it’s an older HD master, as we normally would have seen them bragging about a 2K or 4K remaster if one had occurred. The blacks are a bit dingy and crushed, and while I can’t see too much digital artifacting, The Next Generation is a grungy film that has a hard time with any home video format from my previous recollections, so no big wonder that it’s a bit ugly here as well.

Audio: :4stars:
The 4th film in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre series may not have a 5.1 track, but the 2.0 DTS-HD MA mix is more than capable of delivering the goods. Dialog is clean and clear for the most part, and when that chainsaw revs up, there’s actually quite a bit of low end added in to the two channel mix. I was honestly expecting some hisses and pops due to the VERY low budget nature of the mix, but the dynamics are actually quite clean, and there is no major distortion in the track at all. It doesn’t exactly reinvent the wheel here, but the 2.0 track is more than capable of delivering the chaos and insanity of this insane film.

Extras: :3.5stars:
full?lightbox=1&update=1544785062.png
• THEATRICAL CUT (87 minutes/1080p)
• DIRECTOR'S CUT (93 minutes/1080p with standard definition inserts)
• NEW Audio Commentary with writer/director Kim Henkel (on Director's Cut)
• NEW The Buzz is Back – an interview with Director of Photography Levie Isaacks
• NEW Marked for Death – an interview with actor Tyler Shea Cone
• NEW If Looks Could Kill: The Return of a "Chainsaw Massacre" – an interview with special makeup effects artist J.M. Logan and production designer Deborah Pastor
• Still Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

Final Score: :2.5stars:

As a huge fan of slashers and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in general, I have a hard time giving low scores to slasher films. No matter how bad they are, there usually is a very watchable core at the heart of the film, but with The Next Generation there is no redemption. The film is one of the worst horror movies of all time, and nearly unwatchable except for Matthew McConaughey going crazy throughout the film. Both cuts of the film are utter garbage, and time has NOT been kind to the film. Looking back I fully understand why Rene and Matthew have completely ignored this film as even existing in their acting career, and it acts as nothing more than a warning to other horror film creators about what NOT to do in a movie. The only reason to own this film is to complete a hole in your Texas Chainsaw Massacre collection, or to use it as an example in film class about truly horrific horror movies. Run in absolute terror away from this at all costs!

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Renee Zellweger, Matthew McConaughey, Robert Jacks, Joe Stevens, Tyler Shea Cone, David Laurence, John Harrison
Directed by: Kim Henkel
Written by: Kim Henkel
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH
Studio: Scream Factory
Rated: R
Runtime: 87 Minutes (theatrical) / 93 Minutes (extended director's cut)
Blu-ray Release Date: December 11th, 2018

Recommendation: Run Away!

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I remember I took my wife to see it when we were dating. (I am a romantic at heart lol)
Yes the film was awful to watch. Thanks for the review.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Will skip it. They should have just stuck with the original. lol. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Is this the lowest rating you've ever given a film?

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
lol, probably Todd. This is one of THE worst horror films of all time, and for very good reason.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
In a weird kind of way, I almost want to watch just to see how bad a 1/2 star movie is!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
do iiiiiiiiiiiiiit !!!

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I revisited this film a couple of days ago on Showtime just for fun because I hadn't seen it since it first came out. I agree the characters are laughable especially leather face. There is nothing scary about him in this one. Acting was really bad except Matthew and Renee but even with them I've seen better.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains