full?lightbox=1&update=1549588822.jpg

Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1552685827.jpg
Movie

It’s not exactly a secret that DC has had a devil of a time catching up to Marvel for their live action super hero movies. Except for Wonder Woman the DCEU has been a colossal mess, with rushed story lines, not enough back story, and writing that would make most people wince. I still have no idea how Wonder Woman was able to break through the stale mold and create a truly GREAT DC super hero film in that universe, but it stands as the gold standard by which all others in the DCEU are judges. Some of those movies have been solid (Batman Vs. Superman Extended Cut) and others truly bland (Justice League, Batman Vs. Superman Theatrical Cut). I was NOT hyped for Aquaman after the Justice League movie came out a few years back. Jason Momoa was less Aquaman, and more Aquabro if you know what I mean (basically Jason Momoa playing Jason Momoa, complete with the “what’s up bro?, lets drink some brewskies!” attitude), and Aquaman has always been the lesser of the Justice League members until recently. Interestingly enough, Aquaman turns out to be one of the better DCEU films, and while it doesn’t rival the likes of Wonder Woman, it’s one of the few films in that universe that truly feels like a comic book rather than Zack Snyders dreary take on the world.

Aquaman is set post Justice League, after he teamed up with Batman and defeated Steppenwolf to save the world. His presence is known, and the world knows about the famous Aquaman (Jason Momoa). However, his time as a loose cannon, saving ships and submarines from pirates and the like is come to an end when he gets a visit from the lovely Atlantean, Princes Mera (Amber Heard), who is there to warn Arthur (Aquaman) of an impending threat. Arthur’s half brother Orm (Patrick Wilson) is not just satisfied with ruling Atlantis, but plans to unite the seven under water kingdoms and bring unholy war to the surface as well. Orm’s might is unstoppable for Mera and the rest of the peace loving Atlanteans, and the only thing that can stop the impending war is for a new king to rise. For Arthur to take up the mantle of king and quell this idea of conflict once and for all.

Unfortunately it’s not as easy as it seems. Arthur wants no part of this “king” business, and even after begrudgingly accepting his fate, he may end up throwing it all away. A braggart, a brash loner, and completely untamable, Aquaman’s biggest enemy is himself. Losing a one on one duel with King Orm, his only hope is finding the trident of King Atlanta, the first king of Atlantis, and use it’s power to bring unity to the underwater kingdoms.
full?lightbox=1&update=1552685827.jpg
Aquaman is not a perfect superhero film, and Jason Momoa is STILL not that great of an Aquaman. He’s got the good old biker bar persona instead of the regal presence that the modern comic books bestow upon the underwater monarch. It’s really just Jason Momao…...playing Jason Momoa. But there is a sense of fun and adventure to the movie nonetheless. Out of all the DCEU movies, Aquaman is the one that actually FEELS the most like an actual comic book. It’s light, airy, full of action, and the bright colors of Atlantis and the copious CGI shots (seriously, the movie is almost an animated film as live action shots devoid of CGI are near nonexistent) give the film an almost animated tone. After I got used to “Aquabro” as a character I started digging the film more and more. Despite my own misgivings about the character, James Wan has done the impossible, and actually made my most least anticipated DCEU film actually FUN.

Aquaman is not without it’s narrative faults. The biggest being that the whole movie is basically an origins story that uses plot macguffins to push itself along (the trident of Atlanta being the most notable one). TThe lines are cheesy, and the end battle doesn’t have the same amount of “punch” that others have. Even the addition of Black Mantis can seem forced at times, almost as if they're just adding him to the story to show off Aquaman's greatest nemesis. HOWEVER, Wan has done a great job of keeping Aquaman from being dark and bleak like the Zack Snyder films, and actually coherent, unlike Justice League. The battles are insane, and the sense of depth and magic that happens in the underwater realm is staggering. It literally feels like you’re sucked into the middle of a comic book. Patrick Wilson is awesome as Orm, and hearing Julie Andrews play a giant sea monster was pure gold! Outside of a few narrative issues, the only other thing I can think of is the overuse of CGI, and just how BAD some of the CGI looked as being an actual detractor.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and for some language

Video: :4.5stars:
Aquaman is truly stunning on Blu-ray, and near perfect in many ways. The movie is razor sharp, shot with Arri Alexa cameras at 3.4K, and then transferred to a gorgeous looking 2K master. The film just dazzles with color once it gets to the under water realm of Atlantis, and by dazzles I mean DAZZLES with color. The entire world is lit up with neon blues, reds, purples, greens and varying shades of gold and blue. The light pale blue of the Atlantean ships contrasts with the deep red of the battle guard, and the insanely lit up city just leaves you feeling like you’re in the middle of a light show. On the other hand, there is sooooooooooo much brightly lit CGI that I felt like we were almost watching an animated movie. Unfortunately this can be seen as a bad thing, as the CGI is so overbearing that the budget just couldn’t keep up. The CGI de-aging process for everyone just looked waxy and weak, and the underwater characters looked rubbery and soooooooo processed it almost looked like things weren’t live action. That being said, that’s not a transfer problem as much as it is an issue with how the movie was filmed, and there is sooooooo much fantastic imagery to look at that you can sort of forvie those faux pas. The blacks are deep and inky, but there is some color banding underwater that is typical for said underwater shots. It’s a great looking discs, and details are stunning across the board, but it’s kept from greatness due to the disconcerting CGI and some softness that occurs as a result.

Audio: :5stars:
Even if you have criticisms of the film itself, or the overuse of CGI for the visuals, there’s really no room for criticism on Warner’s Dolby Atmos track. This is one powerhouse of a track, and pure ear candy from beginning to end. The track smashes you in the face with the opening submarine battle, and sets the stage for the rest of the action packed film with an incredible LFE assault that just doesn’t let up. When I mean it doesn’t let up, I meant it DOESN’T let up! The bass is constant and powerful, pulsating in the background from the rousing score, to delivering wave after wave of low end during the copious battles. Tridents smashing together carry the weight of the seas behind it, and the thundering roar of the giant sea monster at the end will give you chills. Surround activity is insane, with overheads and back channels used with incredible frequency. The underwater universe allows for a full 360 degree sonic layer that just encompasses the listener. The wooshing of the water around you shifts and changes at will during the ring of fire battle, going to the sides, above, behind at the drop of a hat. Vocals are always clean and clear, and the dynamic range is absolutely massive. Once moment Aquaman is growling at Mera, and the next energy blasts are coming from all directions. It’s a stunning track that made me grin from ear to ear.

I must warn you though, Warner has once again put a 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix on the discs as well, which means they naturally default to that track instead of the Atmos one. So if you want to hear the Atmos mix (or at least the 7.1 Dolby TrueHD core track), then you have to go into the menu and manually select it. I had hoped that with Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindewald forgoing that annoyance that Warner was changing its ways, but it looks like they’re back to their old patterns with Aquaman.

Extras: :3.5stars:
Going Deep Into the World of Aquaman
• Becoming Aquaman
• James Wan: World Builder
• Aqua Tech
• Atlantis Warfare
• The Dark Depths of Black Manta
• Heroines of Atlantis
• Villaneous Training
• Kingdoms of the Seven Seas
• Creating Undersea Creatures
• A Match Made in Atlantis
• Scene Study Breakdowns
• Exclusive Sneak Peek of Shazam!

Final Score: :4stars:

As I said above, Aquaman is not as awe inspiring as Wonder Woman, but it is a genuinely fun movie that actually adds a spark to an otherwise bleak and depressing series of DCEU films. I an only hope this is a trend going forward, as many fans were rather worn out with Zack Snyders obsession with being dark and edgy. With Shazam! looking to be as comical as it is, I think the series is defintely moving in the right direction in that regard. The Blu-ray looks great, sounds even better, and the extras are rather decent. As a huge critic of the DCEU, I have to give a solid thumbs up to Aquaman, as it was the first time since Wonder Woman that I genuinely had a good time in this universe. Good Watch.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Jason Momoa, Willem Dafoe, Patrick Wilson, Dolph Lundgren, Amber Heard, Nicole Kidman, Temuera Morrison, Ludi Lin, Michael Beach
Directed by: James Wan
Written by: David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick, Will Beall
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 / 1.78:1 AVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core) English DTS-HD MA 5.1, English DVS, French, Spanish, Portuguese DD 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Studio: Warner
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 143 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: Own Aquaman on 4K UHD Combo Pack, Blu-ray combo pack and DVD Special Edition on March 26, or Own It Early on Digital on March 5!

Recommendation: Good Watch

Last edited by a moderator:

jdubs75

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV10
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic DP-UB9000
Front Speakers
Revel PerformaBe F228Be
Center Channel Speaker
Revel PerformaBe C426Be
Surround Speakers
Atlantic Technology IC-8.3
Surround Back Speakers
Atlantic Technology IC-8.3
Front Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Rear Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Subwoofers
JTR CAP 4000ULF-LP, JTR CAP 4000ULF-ST
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 123"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Amazon 4K Firestick, Sony PS4, Apple TV 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apollo
Other Equipment
Furman AC-215A, Monster MP HTS 5100, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Thanks for the review Michael. I didn't catch this in the theater so really excited about this now after reading what you had to say about the audio track. Cannot wait for the release!!! :jump:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review as well. I am also looking forward to checking this movie out. :)

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
little tease coming. we'll have a giveaway for this Blu-ray review copy coming up in the next week (ish). so stay tuned

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thanks for the review. I saw this one at the theater and enjoyed it although it was not as good as Wonder Woman.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Thanks for the review. I saw this one at the theater and enjoyed it although it was not as good as Wonder Woman.

haha, yeah, Wonder Woman is kind of the gold standard for the DC universe right now

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Watched this over the weekend and must say that the LFE is great! my sub got a good workout in this film. The aquarium scene near the beginning of the movie was as if being there.

Mark C Flick

More  
Denon 3805
Main Amp
Acurus A250
Additional Amp
Acurus 200X3
Sony PS3
Front Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 1266-SE
Center Channel Speaker
RBH Signature Classic 661-SE
Surround Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 66-SE
Subwoofers
RBH Signature Classic 1212-SE
Other Speakers or Equipment
Kenwood CT-406
Video Display Device
LG OLED55B9PUA
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix & Amazon Prime
Other Equipment
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
Meh, I thought it was somewhat entertaining. Problem was that I couldn't get Jar Jar Binks out of my head the whole time I was watching it. Kinda ruined it for me.

Top Bottom